• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

My Review of the James Brothers Cheyanne

First-the machining is MT quality.
Second-the knife is pretty. Not dull (tactical) gray.
Third-the knife is extremely smooth in all areas of blade movement.
Forth-the blade itself is beautiful. All the angles combine to produce a very handsome tanto blade. Very sharp too !
Fifth-there is absolutely no lateral movement in the blade at any position of its sweep.
Sixth-this knife is quick at the wrist and light. It's "Beautiful/Tactical".
Seventh-the scales are interchangable. I can have a "new" knife at a fraction of the cost of buying another.
Eight-its innovative. The knife does not require a pivot pin/screw for blade movement.
Ninth-the button is both recessed and easy to access. Very easy to find the button and open it.
Tenth-it has a clip and I LIKE IT !!

These are definate keepers. Also fit my twisted madness of "better get two of them".
I'm both satisfied and fortunate to be in the "beta" crowd on these outstanding knives.
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill McWilliams (edited 10-30-98).]

[This message has been edited by Bill McWilliams (edited 11-02-98).]

[This message has been edited by Bill McWilliams (edited 11-02-98).]

Bill,

Eleven-the guys making these knives are great guys and men of their word. Rare qualities, indeed, these days.
smile.gif

Great Post!

Daniel

I bought 4 JB's for myself and 1 for a friend. Jim (James Brothers) is, indeed, a man of his word, as well as one Hell of a knife designer. MT, better watch out!!

Now we need an OTF JB, a clip blade, a polished blade....
smile.gif

A clip blade is in the works. We should have one out after the first of the year.

Best Regards,
Mike Turber

Bill,

I thought these Cheyenne were supposed to have a mechanism that opened them softly, mine opens like a rocket ,any comment?

------------------
Take Care,

LD

LD,
Just got my second. Its slower than the original, which also opens like a rocket...as fast as my BM auto spikes for sure.
I kinda like the original, but the second one is getting faster by the minute.
These knives seem to be tough enough to take it. I'm not worried about the blade speed.
Don't you like the minimal recoil ? Especially compared to the auto spike or AFO ?
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill McWilliams (edited 11-05-98).]

Well I could not stand it any longer. I ordered one today from Mike Gallagher at ABC-Direct. Great guy and very friendly! I should get it Monday and I will post a review of it here. Hope it is as great as you guys are saying! I have not spent this much on a knife since my HALO (Which was stolen!).

I got mine with Black Micarta handles and Grey body. That alone is really cool just to be able to order it that way.

Dave

Bill,

I received my James Brothers (AKA Cheyenne) several months ago (chased it down!). On the butt it is engraved "Cheyenne" with a double underline.

Does yours say something different?

Thanks

-Michael

Michael,
Both of my knives have the "JB" on the bolster. You must have an early one.
I've had several conversations Jim of James Brothers. He's a real nice guy and can likely answer your question. let me know if you want his email address.

Frog,
Broken Arrow, ABC and someone else on the "knives for sale" part of the forum sells the Cheyenne. Most have it for $299. The guy I can't remember has them for $280.
Strange how my mind works.
Bill

Just got word from Jim @ James Bros....The knives in the first run of 40 had the "Cheyenne" logo!

Any other lucky charter members?

-Michael

I came home for lunch and guess what I got!

A Cheyenne.
I am extremely disapointed in this knife!

It is made so well that I may be forced to buy another for my Dad!

Guys really this thing is really nice. I have heard people say this knife has no blade play and I just figured it had so little blade play that you guys siad it had none. Well this has NO blade play or wobble or anything. My neighbor has a Microtech SOCOM and he is jealous. My knife costs about 50 less and seems to be better made. The black micarta looks really cool and you can take it off and change it out if you get tired of that color.

I don't claim to be a good reviewer but if there was a knife that needed to grace the cover of a magazine like tactical knives or blade, this is it.

------------------
Dave
Scuba Doo

My Cheyenne Auto also has the word "Cheyenne" and double underlined on the butt of the bolster. Also the blade does not have a blood groove in it. Do you think this makes it a rare collectable and worth more because it's one of only 40 prototypes ever made???
Maybe I should stop using it on a daily basis

------------------

I will get the answers for you all on the numbers of knives made and in what configuration the lettering was done. The remainer of the series will still have the JB on the handle unless I change my mind. After the first of the year I will most likely laser engrave the blades with a Stealth logo.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Lead - Follow or get out of the way!
www.wowinc.com

There were 40 knives sold with the word "Cheyenne" and double underlined on the butt of the bolster. They were the first lot run, to see what the knife world would think of the knife. Read this topic with the wife and she went upstairs and came down will number 41, that I had put up on the dresser and forgot about. It had a little dust on it but brand new. Hey Mike what do you think we should do with number 41???????????????

------------------
James Brother Knives
JJL52057@aol.com
call anytime

Hummmm....... Let's sell it! Or we can hang on to it for history sake. We are gonna make a lot of noise very soon and history will be made. But whatever we decide it will eventually find a good home I am sure.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Lead - Follow or get out of the way!
www.wowinc.com

Back again on this topic.
Guys, I predict that this knife will be the "must have" item of the holidays.
There are more options in the works than the present line of scales. One is a clip plug for the removable clip. The intention is to keep the knife looking pretty in every carry mode.
As far as manufacturers go, I have found the James Brothers more willing to engage in true interaction with their customers than Benchmade, Spyderco or Microtech. They are down-to-earth, honest and motivated persons.
We all know that Mike stands behind anything he does.
Things are lining up here for a real winner.
BTW, my second Cheyenne is no longer for sale.
Bill

Hey all I wanna echo the sentiment of the James Brothers being a very consumer oriented company, man! Jim was nice enough to e-mail me twice to ask how I liked my Cheyenne and all I could do was rave, however being never satisfied, a typical American fault, I inquired about a clip point in BG-42, anyone else interested? Oh and the knife? Better than my favorite old M/T or even my nutter butter peanut butter,(dalton gripper) and I dig those. Some one already said it, "LOOK OUT MICRO TECH!!! sincerely MIke

My friend just got a Cheyenne with Wood handeld. NOW I AN JEALOUS! This is the coolest damn knife I have ever seen! Thanks to Mike Turber and the James Brothers. You guys are da men!

------------------
Dave
Scuba Doo

The ONLY critique I can make of the Cheyenne is the grooves in the scales. They are functional, but they create a 90 degree angle with the lines in the bolsters. They also have a "clamshell" effect.
To me, it breaks up the harmony of all the other lines and angles of the knife.
Smooth scales would be better, IMO.

Now, as far as customer service goes, theres none better. I boogered up a screw changing scales and emailed Jim @ James Bros. He immediately mailed replacements.
In contrast, I have been trying to get some spare springs from REKAT for months.
Also, one of my Cheyennes has polished bolsters and tortise shell scales. Jim suggested that I trace, cut out and install some white paper under the scales for effect.
Well, the effect is great. Far brighter colors and deeper translucence. All around improvement, and makes me like tortise shell for a change.
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill McWilliams (edited 11-14-98).]

Back