1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My Rodent 3 is different than yours...

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by elof_alv, Sep 10, 2017.

1. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Years ago (predates any attempts at leatherworking) I got the scales off with a plan of stripping and stonewashing the knife.
    After stripping I decided to sand down the CNC grooves from the blade and thin it out a little. Sorry no progress pics, but this is what I got from my efforts after sanding and stonewashing

[​IMG]

Then, for a time I had too much free time on my hands (and booze) and I came up with another modification idea... Out comes the Dremel...
    And this happened (sorry, again no progress pics, this is taken after the mod, ferric chloride bath [yes, got my hands on that in the mean time] and stonewashing:
    [​IMG]

The dodgy jimping and ferro rod scraper (all eyeballed and done UI)
    [​IMG]

Then for a long time nothing happened because I could not find standoffs locally, and didn't want to pay 6 times in postage what they'd cost from US

Finally, recently had a look on eBay and got some brass standoffs from China (they needed a bit of sanding...) and the screws I bought were about 1/4 inch too long (each!!! more Dremel time) and a few days ago I assembled this fruit of my pain, blood, frustration and joy and put an edge on.

[​IMG]

Here is a close up on edge, I've used nail polish as a resistor for ferric chloride (two baths, that's why there is the faded lines along the edge

[​IMG]

Overall, I'm happy with the result, knife is definitely lighter, etch came out much darker on other steels, but I'm happy anyway, blade isn't shiny.
    Now, need to finish off some leather projects that I have promised to people before I get to make a sheath... work is just such a killjoy...

2. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Killjoy? I doth think noth. I think your a gifted craftsman with unlimited talents and this proves it. Most definitely a one of a kind. A real beaut!

3. Icky Thump

Icky Thump

Dec 8, 2011
    Looks great

4. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I wish the handles were lightened up from factory like that. Nice job

Hard Knocks likes this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    ........he 'doth refer to the employment he attends when not doing fine leather work and knife modifications (and while healing from the recent removal of a kidney and testicle) ...!!

Great looking work mate !!!!

6. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I have some other 52100 that took a pretty dark acid etch. I wonder if it would have come out darker if it had been done pre-stonewash? Cool finish though. Makes it look rugged.

7. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    Kootaga, Andy is right, I meant the job that pays for the hobbies.

HK, acid bath happened before the stonewashing, both times, except for the initial stonewashing that was followed up by more sanding before the first acid bath.

I've now done FeCl3 bath & stonewash to a few blades in different steels and they all come out a bit different.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  8. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I understand now I think. Mine was ground and then got an acid bath, but no stonewash, and so kept the dark finish.

I'm having really good luck with stonewashed finish in other steels. Of course something like 3V is going to be more corrosion resistant than 52100 right off the bat, but it makes me want to strip some SR101 and stonewash it to see how it holds up next to satin SR101.

Uncle Timbo and Brian77 like this.
  9. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    Wait.... you skeletonized that knife with a freaking DREMEL??!!!

TELL ME MORE!

10. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    A lot of free time, booze and determination...
    Mostly done it with cutoff wheels, then used anything I had in my kits to sand/grind smooth and round off any corners

11. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    *Chiral reads this while eying his Rodent Solution and then his Dremel, wondering if he has what it takes to make the dream a reality....*

Very
    cool, elof!

12. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    I'd say do it, as long as you have the patience.
    The good thing about doing it with Dremel is that you get to touch the steel and know when to stop so it can cool down. I did get one of those magnetic thingies/clamps for welding to hold the knife while I cut the holes, but still it's a lot more 'hands on' option than press drill or mills.
    The added advantage is that once you have the scales off you can sand down the handles (if you wish so), or even taper under the handles.

chiral.grolim likes this.
  13. Béma

Béma Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Nicely done, Elof!

..post pics when you're done chiral.

14. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    The handle weight of the Rodent Solution was the only thing i wasn't fond of...hmmmm....dremel, eh?