My SearchFoo is weak

Can anyone tell me if there's a thread that explains what the Nuclear Meltdown process is, how it is done, and what differentiates it from a standard blade?

i see lots of talk about it, and i have a general idea, but i thought perhaps there might be a detailed thread on it

i can't find one :(

I could be wrong but I think the only thing to it is everything is smooth and rounded. There are no sharp edges minus the one that cuts :D the spine is "crowned" or rounded which makes applying pressure to it by hand so much nicer.

It's the ball bearing treatment like you see on the NMFBM and NMSFNO. I assume it's done by the CNC machines after the blanks are cut out but I'm not sure. I don't like it but I appear to be in the minority. I'd take a FFBM or Sabre SFNO over the NM versions any day. YMMV

I could be wrong but I think the only thing to it is everything is smooth and rounded. There are no sharp edges minus the one that cuts :D the spine is "crowned" or rounded which makes applying pressure to it by hand so much nicer.

I think the blade length is also increased along with the smooth, rounded finish

We took a Fusion Battle Mistress and tossed it into the Busse Combat Nuclear Reactor. . .

Holy Oinkin' Yowza!!!!

You're not gonna believe what happened next!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Every exposed section of steel was melted down until it was as round as a ball bearing!!! :eek: :thumbup:

Check out these pics!!!!. . . . This is the most comfortable monster chopper that you'll ever hold in your hand!!!!! :thumbup:

Tomorrow you'll see what it did to the blade and handles!!!!!

NMFBM5.jpg

NMFBM9.jpg

The talon holes melted inside and out and now look like doughnuts!!! :eek:

NMFBM6.jpg

NMFBM4.jpg

NMFBM8.jpg

And...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-FBM-!-!-!-Lots-O-Pics!!!!?highlight=meltdown

I think the blade length is also increased along with the smooth, rounded finish

That seems to be the case with the SFNO and FBM, even though the increased length has never been described as part of the treatment.

Some people will also say that the SAR series has the treatment, but I don't think it's ever been officially put that way in the specs. I've noticed there's a half-nuked treatment, too, like on the CG BOSS Jack--there is still a noticeable corner from the front to the side of the steel at the front guard area, but the front is slightly rounded and not squared. Additionally, the talon and pommel holes themselves are left squared or edge broken, not rounded. I don't think this has an official name either.

Not to add to the confusion or anything :) :foot:

That seems to be the case with the SFNO and FBM, even though the increased length has never been described as part of the treatment.

Some people will also say that the SAR series has the treatment, but I don't think it's ever been officially put that way in the specs. I've noticed there's a half-nuked treatment, too, like on the CG BOSS Jack--there is still a noticeable corner from the front to the side of the steel at the front guard area, but the front is slightly rounded and not squared. Additionally, the talon and pommel holes themselves are left squared or edge broken, not rounded. I don't think this has an official name either.

Agreed. Old designs being re-introduced with the treatment are stretched to add to their novelty. The SAR series have it without the "NM" in their name but the BOSSeries have a partial meltdown treatment. It looks like the new SHBMLB will be in the BOSSeries without the pommel being melted down, keeping with the partial meltdown we've seen with the BOSS Jack and BOSS Street. :foot: :thumbup:

ETA the design features stay very consistent across each series, the acronyms--not so much. :eek: :D

And the upcoming BM & FSH knives.. they all have increased blade length.

From Jerry's old post:

"Every exposed section of steel that your hand will come in contact with has been given the rounded, Nuclear Meltdown ball-bearing finish, including the choil area which provides extra comfort when choking up on the blade.

It features smooth, hand-shaped grips that are ground on the very knife they ride on, offering you the finest "No Hot-Spot" handle that we have EVER produced!!!"

The SAR series has jimping on the spine, technically they don't have NM treatment because of the jimping and the handle slabs are not smooth, hand-shaped.

Last edited:
And the upcoming BM & FSH knives.. they all have increased blade lenght.

From Jerry's old post:

"Every exposed section of steel that your hand will come in contact with has been given the rounded, Nuclear Meltdown ball-bearing finish, including the choil area which provides extra comfort when choking up on the blade.

It features smooth, hand-shaped grips that are ground on the very knife they ride on, offering you the finest "No Hot-Spot" handle that we have EVER produced!!!"

The SAR series has jimping on the spine, technically they don't have NM treatment because of the jimping and the handle slabs are not smooth, hand-shaped.

Oh yeah, forgot about those two :eek: too new to remember. But the ones at the show weren't hand-shaped either, right? There seems to be different degrees of melting down. Different degrees of roundness, whether or not the inside of the talon holes are also rounded, hand-smoothed vs. CNCed scales... it looks like the NMSFNOLE and NMFBMLE scales are hand-smoothed, but the CGs are not. Never noticed that till now. We better stop before we go crazy trying to find a pattern to Jerry's designs :confused:

I was under the impression that soaking a Busse knife in old scotch would cause the meltdown effect?

Wow... i go to lunch, and Team Hog comes to the rescue.

Thanks for all the info guys. That's a lot more than I expected

The NMSFNOs were sold with machined scales. Tons of NMFBMs have been sold with machined scales after the initial 2 week release too.

am i the only one that likes the milled, multi-textured scales the most?

the smooth probably feels nice, but the textured look is by far the nicest looking IMHO

There are NMSFNOs with hand shaped slabs that are NOT LEs I've had a couple. They are rare though.....and available through the Custom shop.

There are NMSFNOs with hand shaped slabs that are NOT LEs I've had a couple. They are rare though.....and available through the Custom shop.

Ok I give up.. :)

Were the NMSFNO's ordered from the custom shop?

am i the only one that likes the milled, multi-textured scales the most?

the smooth probably feels nice, but the textured look is by far the nicest looking IMHO

No, you are not the only one. I prefer them to the hand smoothed. It's one of the (many) things that sets Busse Combat apart from the competition--awesome machined scales. :)

We better stop before we go crazy trying to find a pattern to Jerry's designs :confused:

There's a pattern to it.
'Nuclear Meltdown' can be applied in multiple instances. It can be applied as a production run title, or it can be applied as a partial or full feature.

When something has the name in it's title such as 'Nuclear Meltdown FBM' it generally indicates a re-release of an older model with a new feature set. That new set may only be the rounding process, but it has historically included a lengthening of the blade. When used to describe a feature, it can describe fully rounded or partially rounded corners on a standard model, or a new model that comes with the feature on all variations.

The Nuclear Meltdown title moniker is not a definition of individual set features, like LE always indicating a satin finish and numbering. Nuclear Meltdown itself should only really be used to indicate the edges themsleves, if in the title of the knife as described by Jerry himself it can be used to imply the potential for a longer edge, but does not necessarily gaurentee it.

Ok I give up.. :)

Were the NMSFNO's ordered from the custom shop?

No, you could order them with Machined Scales or Hand Smoothed Scales for more money. Seems like the NMSFNOs were a Company Store release where as the NMFBMs were direct from Busse Combat but were only available for 2 weeks.

Back