1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My second knife - fixed blade

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by ezramoro, Jul 11, 2018.

1. ezramoro

ezramoro

Jul 10, 2018
    So, this is my second knife, and I just wanted to share. I hope this is the right place.

The handle is black walnut with red G10 spacer, three coats of stain with a sanding of 2,000 when dried followed by 2 coats of satin clear. The handle was buffed with a cotton wheel.

Blade steel is 01. I heat treated and tempered the blade myself. Afterwards, I had it tested three times for HRC and the readings all fell between 48 and 52.

The bevel was cut by hand with a file, and a home made guide. I made sure to draw file, as well. Also sanded the lower portion of the blade up to 2,000 grit, starting at 150. Plus buffing on a wheel after I finished sanding.

I used a home made metal sanding block. I think I'll try to find a small block of aluminium because the metal fatigues the fingers quickly

The larger surface of the blade was run on a belt sander at 400 grit. In retrospect I'm not sure that was a good choice on my part as the finish isn't uniform.

Blade has a 25 degree cutting angle on it and is a length of 4.75 inches.

(I've attached pictures, I think. I hope they're not too large? I was reading the forum rules and If they are I can remove them and resize.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. R APPLEBY

R APPLEBY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 11, 2003
    Great job on knife #2, wish my #2 would have looked like that.

3. olymon

olymon

Apr 27, 2017
    great looking second knife! keep up the good work, it looks like you have the patience to do it right.

4. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    You're headed in the right direction. Well done.

5. PaulDiStefano

PaulDiStefano KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 14, 2016
    Nice work bro. Got some sweet contours on that handle for sure!

6. bccustomknives

bccustomknives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 11, 2014
    Nice looking piece, especially for a #2 ,but pity about the HT ...O1 @ 48 HRC is nothing to write home about,even with the scandi grind...that's something you need to work on ,as a blade without proper HT is not much more than a pretty paperweight...next time stop and re-do the HT if needed before going any further ;)

7. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Looks like a nice piece overall. Quite a useful shape and a nicely contoured handle. Keep an eye on grinding the handle pins flush so they don't get too hot and scorch the wood.

8. ezramoro

ezramoro

Jul 10, 2018
    Thanks so much really appreciate it!

9. ezramoro

ezramoro

Jul 10, 2018
    Thanks much! And yes, I also had some tear out when I was drilling the scales. I should've had a backing piece of wood to prevent that.

10. ezramoro

ezramoro

Jul 10, 2018
    Hey thanks for the advice!

11. ezramoro

ezramoro

Jul 10, 2018
    Thanks! I tried to keep it organic so it fit the hand well.

12. ezramoro

ezramoro

Jul 10, 2018
    I'm glad to hear it! Thanks!

13. ezramoro

ezramoro

Jul 10, 2018
    And the time! :) Thanks.

14. ezramoro

ezramoro

Jul 10, 2018
    That's high praise coming from you. I took a look at your website. Those are gorgeous pieces. I can only hope that I get to that point, some time. I think I have to work on making the blade harder though.

15. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Looks good.

ezramoro likes this.