My Secret

Huge fan of the tanto

For me, I find them to be very handy as a utility pattern in addition to being cool looking.

I still have my first one which is an old Bali-song butterfly knife in addition to my JK Element and Neck Knife.

Little by little I'm working on a larger one for myself, loosely based on a Wally Hays design. When I'm in the mood I work on it, a little bit at a time.

Sounds like something we would like to see.

I can see the utility in them, but every time I carry one, I cut with the secondary tip, where the two cutting edges meet.
I prefer a bit of belly to my cutting edge for most tools and situations.

That being said, the traditional Japanese design catches my eye.

Yes brother! I love Tantos. And since I'm left handed my Emersons are perfect.

Finished grinding it this morning, will heat treat with the other blades Monday. I'll wait until I need to order more handle material before I finish it.

What a relief! When I saw "My Secret", I thought you were going to let us know you wear dresses when working in the shop or something. I am glad to hear you like Tantos! I like them as well. My Bench Made is a version of a Tantos. People (non knife types) seem to find this design intimidating. Probably because they have seen the shape in Samurai movies.

Have you ever done anything "Kwaiken" like. I've always liked the tanto blade design, but lately have been intrigued by these.

I'm a bit un "edge" acated when it comes to the Tanto with my only 2 being CS's Kobun and GI. Maybe if someone made me a really nice one to play with....................

Cuts fine. Handle is bone micarta, I found some leftover in the shop. It's also got red liners and copper pins.

Back