My Son and his new Galyean Pro Series Small JYD...

Professor

Gold Member
Tim,

Many kudos to you on a fine product.

I recently acquired via the forums one of your small JYD's for my Son, soon to be 9 years old (he's a good bit beyond his years--he also has a Walther P22 with which he's a crack shot ;). I'll try and get some pics attached soon.

He's wanted a small Sebenza like his old man carries for some time, and about a year ago, I bought him a Kershaw small JYD that he's faithfully toted, loved, and cared for. I do all the sharpening for him, but he's got fuzz-stick-making, general carving, and other bits of bushcraft down to a tee.

Anyway, upon arrival, I noticed the Pro Series JYD was tough to open via the flipper, even after ample lubing with Miltec-1. It was ok for me (I like a stiff detente), but there was no way my Son could open it.

The torx drivers came out, and I took it apart to see what the story was. The detente divot on the blade was deep, so I took my Dremel with diamond-coated engraving bit and gingerly dug a subtle ramp leading into the blade detente divot in the opening/closing direction. Luckily, the very first time I reassembled (and man, those little bearings sure can be fun to keep in place during reassembly), I'd dug out the PERFECT amount for ease of opening.

Long story short, my Son is absolutely smitten. The small JYD by design is perfect for his small hands, and the flipper creates a great guard when opened and in the forward grip. He has discovered tip-up carry, with which he can draw and open the knife like nobody's business.

Now to make him a wooden training drone and begin his slash/thrust training. He's pretty good already with reverse grip/edge-in CQB. ;)

Thanks again, Tim, for making both a big and little kids' days!

Professor.

The fit and finish of this knife is outstanding, and right on par with my CRK's. Blade is perfectly, I mean perfectly centered, the lockup is the best on a framelock that I've ever seen, with oodles of room for long-term wear, and best of all, the bearing system makes for a far smoother opening than even that of my Sebenza. It's neat how I applied Loc-Tite to all screws, pivot included, tightened everything all the way down, and maintained this smoothness of opening/closing.

Tim, you're really on to something here. I hope to see these features in your upcoming models!

My Son only somewhat realizes just how lucky he is! :)

Professor.

Prof --- you've got me sold, old buddy !! Now, get out and bust those coyotes !!

OUCH

...for the mighty Ruger 10/22 with Tapco stock, Streamlight weaponlight, and 30rnd magazine.

Now that my Son's got a great field knife, he can help me process and eat 'em too.

Professor.

Finally got around to snapping a photo of my Son riding his atv, and toting his favorite knife...

He's the best 8-year-old bladefighter I know. :)

Professor.

Attachments

• Zach and his JYD.JPG
    Zach and his JYD.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 242
Nice kid and very good knife!!! Have you learn him how to kill wolves and than how to skin them!!!

Back