My Spyderco Military, or, Replacing The Super Commander

Just came in the mail today...Spyderco Military. Now, I've never been a big Spyderco guy as most of their knives just never appealed to me for one reason or another but I've always wanted their Military model.

My intention was to replace my Emerson Super Commander with the Military for my main work blade but I'm not so sure now as I'll soon explain. During work I like having a big sturdy knife with a big handle since I am almost always wearing gloves. It must also have a simple locking device that can withstand dirt, sand, mud, grime, etc., without getting too gritty if I neglect to clean it every week (sorry Benchmade AXIS). Good steel of course is also a must. The Emerson Super Commander has been an absolute champion for me as my main work blade for the last 4-5 years. I really have put it through hell and it continues to beg for more. Honestly it still has a lot of life left but just felt it was time for something different.

The Spyderco Military meets all the criteria above, however, what has me concerned is the blade's tip. It is very narrow and looks very fragile. Seems excellent for piercing but not much else. With the wide array of tasks that I demand from my knife at work it's hard to imagine that tip withstanding some really hard use. The Super Commander has been dropped from a ladder on accident more than once and it just laughed it off. Not so sure the Spyderco would do the same. The Emerson may have to wait a little longer for retirement. We'll see.

yRKKl4x.jpg

IhlUfJz.jpg

FpvlAeY.jpg

What exactly do you do with the knife at work?

I can already tell you that regardless of how you answer my question, the S30V micro chipping itself to death will drive you crazy...

Well they're very different knives, the military is much more of a slicing kind of EDC/utility knife. It's great for opening boxes, food prep, or light work were your not prying or twisting... so pretty much normal EDC. The Emerson as you said is super tough and probably not as good at generally slicing and other normal EDC tasks as the spyderco. When it comes to whether it will work for you, you really have to ask what you'll be using it for. You mentioned ladders, and say you wear work gloves so I assume you do some kind of construction based job. I've worked in the construction industry before and done a lot of different types of work and I always chose the right tool for the job. I never opened paint cans or pried staples out of shingles with the tip of my knife, I've always grabbed a screw driver or hammer to do that stuff. If you're the type of person who does that, then I think the spyderco is plenty durable. If you're the type of person who just grabs what's closest to do a job then the emerson might be the better bet.

I work for a city Public Works division and we pretty much maintain the entire city so as you can imagine I use my knife for MANY different tasks. Always cutting rope, hose, zip-ties, packaging ties, opening boxes, cement bags, cold patch bags, cutting cloth, canvas, nylon, plastic, and a thousand other things that I'm forgetting. I don't abuse my knife as I always have a plethora of other tools available to me at all times. I have however used the Super Commander for some light prying because I knew the tip could handle it. Obviously I wouldn't be able to do that with the Spyderco. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret buying the Military at all, I'm just saying it might end up being in my EDC rotation instead of my work blade that's all.

For your type of work I'd have recommended the Gayle Bradley 1 over the Mili. That Super looks like it is still good to go though.

I work for a city Public Works division and we pretty much maintain the entire city so as you can imagine I use my knife for MANY different tasks. Always cutting rope, hose, zip-ties, packaging ties, opening boxes, cement bags, cold patch bags, cutting cloth, canvas, nylon, plastic, and a thousand other things that I'm forgetting. I don't abuse my knife as I always have a plethora of other tools available to me at all times. I have however used the Super Commander for some light prying because I knew the tip could handle it. Obviously I wouldn't be able to do that with the Spyderco. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret buying the Military at all, I'm just saying it might end up being in my EDC rotation instead of my work blade that's all.

A S30V Military was my work knife for along time and I cut the same stuff you would be except for cement bags and it worked fine.

Use it at work and see how it works for you, that will be the only way to really tell. ;)

UPDATE: After much consideration, I ended up sending the Spyderco Military back to Blade HQ. I just couldn't get past how acute the tip was. Would have made a good EDC blade for me but that's not what I'm looking for right now. Enter the Buck Bantam. BHW model to be exact (the largest of the Bantams). Now, I did order another knife as well but it hasn't come in yet so I'm just going to go over the Bantam right now.

Initial impressions are very favorable. Yes, its a 26 dollar knife against the $296 Super Commander and $165 Military but you know what? I like it. Not a fancy steel but nobody does 420HC better than Buck and I don't mind sharpening. Not quite as big as the Emerson but pretty close. I really like the blade shape and while it does have a swedge which makes the tip somewhat narrow, it is not nearly as thin as the Military. The Bantam feels really good ergonomically too and I love the Kryptek camo. This knife is not without its faults however. The thermoplastic handle scales do have some light texturing but I wish it was a little more grippy. Definitely doesn't compete with the G10 of Emerson or Spyderco. Also, at least on my example, there is quite a bit of wrist action required to flick the blade open and no you can't adjust the pivot on this thing. I'll be carrying the Bantam at work starting tomorrow at least until the other knife I ordered shows up and we'll see from there. On with the photos...

tWtZGnf.jpg

Q4WMlEb.jpg

Nl1d8RA.jpg

I was gonna recommend returning the military.

For your line of work, the Cold Steel Recon 1 CTS-XHP, and Zero Tolerance 0909 and 0801 would be perfect. I'd avoid anything with S30V.

While it's not a powdered super steel, the 14c28n in the Southern Grind Bad Monkey is certainly an upgrade from 154cm, and it's a great knife.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

When you look at those two blade tip designs, it's pretty easy to see which one looks more like a tanto than a spear point. You shouldn't expect these two designs to perform the same.

Hold on to that Super Commander, Its a beast. I regret trading mine, almost. Though it was new in the box, I hope to get another one someday. Hopefully with smoother g10 than the newer models.

420HC is a really nice steel for tough tasks, specially when made by Buck or Gerber

CAM04795_zpsegc7ruwt.jpg

just my little contribution here...

While it's not a powdered super steel, the 14c28n in the Southern Grind Bad Monkey is certainly an upgrade from 154cm, and it's a great knife.
Thanks for that recommendation. That knife looks pretty good and I wouldn't have to give up the wave feature which I've grown to love. I'll have too look in to it some more. Don't know if I would completely trust such a short pocket clip though.

When you look at those two blade tip designs, it's pretty easy to see which one looks more like a tanto than a spear point. You shouldn't expect these two designs to perform the same.
Nor did I ever expect them to. I like a variety of blade styles and as I mentioned in my first post just feel like trying something different after almost 5 years of the Super Commander. I love the design of the Military's blade I just didn't know the thickness of it tapered down so thin at the tip. Should have researched it more before I bought it apparently.

Thanks for that recommendation. That knife looks pretty good and I wouldn't have to give up the wave feature which I've grown to love. I'll have too look in to it some more. Don't know if I would completely trust such a short pocket clip though.

Nor did I ever expect them to. I like a variety of blade styles and as I mentioned in my first post just feel like trying something different after almost 5 years of the Super Commander. I love the design of the Military's blade I just didn't know the thickness of it tapered down so thin at the tip. Should have researched it more before I bought it apparently.
The clip is very strong. Once its, it's on.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I know you already made the switch, but I did want to add the tip of the military (and para) is stronger and tougher than it appears.

That being said, no desire for another Emerson? The 7, 15, 10?

My first thought. Stouter tip than ffg models, retains wave feature, and the hole and back lock are easy to use with gloves on.

27086102732_ee68ccde97_b.jpg

I also haven't had chipping issues with VG10 like I have w/ S30v.

I know you already made the switch, but I did want to add the tip of the military (and para) is stronger and tougher than it appears.

That being said, no desire for another Emerson? The 7, 15, 10?
Love my 10 and 7, but I have (and use) a Super Commander so I certainly understand where OP's coming from.

I was thinking along the lines of a Journeyman or an 8, each with serrations. The 10 is great but is slightly smaller than the Journeyman -- and I'm thinking OP wants to stay on the larger size.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have a bad monkey and its a great knife. The clip has never been an issue for me. The Military is my all time favorite EDC. Also look at the ZT 0630. If you like emersons than it will appeal to you

My first thought. Stouter tip than ffg models, retains wave feature, and the hole and back lock are easy to use with gloves on.

27086102732_ee68ccde97_b.jpg

I also haven't had chipping issues with VG10 like I have w/ S30v.
You were pretty close. The other knife I ordered came in last night....its the Endura 4 with Zome handles. I knew the Endura has always been super popular and now I know why. I really can't find anything bad about it. Almost the same blade shape as the Military, tip seems a bit thicker/stronger, and I'm a big fan of VG-10 steel. The Zome scales are really nice to look at too and provide good traction. Finding it difficult to pick between these three for a work knife so I think I'll probably rotate them like I do my EDC blades. Hard to completely give up the Super Commander after its been such an absolute beast for me. I am still entertaining the idea of that Bad Monkey however. Anyway, Endura time....

nwIyzyO.jpg

4DDbcSb.jpg

M9tMYaO.jpg

I may have hired a couple new employees, but the Super Commander is still the boss.

XkXcuKJ.jpg

xVER1u3.jpg

A zt 0561 or southern grind bad monkey would be a smooth transition. Big sturdy blades with excellent tip strength and built to withstand hard work.
8f715d050697b0c6e55cd8bbee76f582.jpg
b4dc09307454d7e17c6271a9f7c8b19f.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back