• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

My test of DEET on Kydex

Because I am making sheaths for people, I thought I'd better find out for myself if DEET really has an effect on Kydex. I used two products and two types of Kydex for this test.
DEET is the active chemical found in bug repellant sprays. It's full name is N,N-Diethyl-meta-tolumide, which probably doesn't mean much to you unless you were a chem major like I was! Anyway, the two products used in the test were OFF! Skintastic and Deep Woods Off!, both manufactured by Johnson Wax. The Skintastic was in a spritzer pump bottle, is unscented, and has 6.65% DEET. The Deep Woods is in an aerosol container with 28.50% DEET.
The main complaint with Kydex material is that it degrades when exposed to DEET, and I have heard conflicting statements on this, so I needed to do my own tests. For the tests I used four small (about 1/2" square) samples of Kydex. The black color is known to be Kydex100, and the gray I used is assumed to be Kydex100, but I did not buy it myself, so I am unsure of its pedigree. I used two small glass jars with no lids and placed one sample of each color in each jar. I did not use a control, as I have tons of both colors of Kydex laying around and none of it has degraded on its own! :-) Also, both colors of Kydex are 3/32" (0.093") thick, which is about the thckest material used for knife sheaths. Unfortunately I do not have any Concealex on hand to test, but I will soon, so I will update the results when the tests are complete.
In each glass jar I squirted a fair amount of the repellant. One jar had Skintastic and the other had Deep Woods, of course. I left the samples for at least 15 minutes, then resprayed. The samples were soaked in the DEET repellant for about 30 minutes total, I would estimate. After the test was complete I rinsed the samples in warm and cold water.
The first thing I noticed is the the Skintastic samples (Group S, let's say) were somwhat slimy while being rinsed. I don't know if this is normal or not, though, as my sheaths have always been dry. The samples from Group DW (Deep Woods) were really slimy to the touch, so I am assuming this is due to a chemical reaction with the materials.
Both samples have also retained the classic bug spray smell, more so on Group DW. I can't really detect any harm to the samples from Group S. Group DW feels tacky on the edges, and there is black dye all over my hands, so I know for sure it reacted with the DEET. Neither set of samples warped or melted , but there is definitely a reaction in the stronger sample, that would probably take place with enough exposure to the Skintastic, which is basically Off Woods in a dilute solution.
The samples exposed to Deep Woods seem to have lost some structural integrity on the surface, which may or may not wash off and clean up, eventually. In any case, these samples were also soaked in the liquid for a half hour.
My conclusions: contrary to what I have been told about Kevin McClung's (Mad Dog Knives) claims that Kydex100 is not harmed by DEET, I have found that there is some degradation when soaked. I would, however, fell confident carrying a knife ion a Kydex sheath while using DEET products. I would remove the sheath from my body while applying the spray, so it would not be hit directly, and I would rinse the sheath off well in camp. I think if these precautions are followed, the sheath shouldn't suffer any harmful effects from the chemical. Even if there is a reaction while taking these precautions, it should be rather minor, and should not affect the integrity of the product at all.
If you have evidence from normal use on a product that you know is Kydex100, then I would be interested to hear your story and see it posted here. Thanks!

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

Good Information regarding your test, I had heard the same thing. I own two custom Kydex Sheaths & one custom Kydex Tac-Holster. I have alway taken those precautions (removing the Kydex sheath/holster from my person, prior to spaying myself) but sometimes I still wonder?
Thanks again.

------------------
James "Stoney"

Great test and useful information. I was going to suggest you try the small bottles of Deep Woods Off or Muskol with 95% DEET but you made your point with much less concentration.

Being a sheath maker who uses kydex I'm glad you took the time to test your materials and share the your results. It shows real integrety, Thanks.

My half ass testing with the MD sheath dissolved the Kydex slightly. I only put a thick film of DEET on the sheath. The dye came off and the sheath was slightly duller. I am not surprised by your results since a small jar of DEET will dissolve much more than a film of DEET.

I also agree with your conclusions. Under normal use the sheath should not see enough DEET to seriously damage it.

Sorry, except for the MD sheath I don't know of anymore "known kydex 100" DEET stories. I have: kevlar re-enforced REM 700 stock, fishing reel, wood finish, and kraton stories. The Mission MPK kydex sheath was also attacked but I do not know what type of kydex it was.

Will

There are about 25 different polymers of Kydex. The most common one for knife applications is most likely Kydex100, as it is good quality and relatively affordable. Some folks may use Kydex T, which I think has special thermal resistance properties, but it is over twice as expensive. There is a general Kydex, too, which is probably a lower grade than the 100. I'm glad this test was of interest to people, and when I get the Concealex samples I requested from Victor Kelly, I will update my results. Actually, I may have some scraps down in the basement....

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
On Two Wheels

Well, I did the same test on two pieces of Concealex, and surprisingly, they appear to have withstood it very well. There was a minute bit of softening detectable, but the dye seemed intact and the surface didn't want to rub off like it did on the Kydex. Of course, this isn;t to say that a reaction of some type did not occur, but at this time it seems that Concealex fared better. If I like the Concealex samples I get, then this may lead me to switch to Concealex after my Kydex stocks are depleted (if ever). S

------------------
On Two Wheels

Chiro,

Thanks for the review and info, I always wondered what would happen.

Stoney,

LOL, Did it hurt a lot when you "SPAYED" yourself? (I thought males got neutered anyway!!)

------------------
C.O.'s-"It takes balls to work behind the walls "

Chiro did you notice any strength loss due to the reaction? Could you bend it any easier or stab something through it with less force?

-Cliff

Cliff, I was working with very small samples, so bending and stabbing was not an option. Sorry! I was looking solely for structural dirability after the application of the chemicals, and I think with some cautionary use both Kydex and Concealex should perform well if properly taken care of. I may have to repeat the tests with larger samples...

------------------
On Two Wheels

Chiro :

I think with some cautionary use both Kydex and Concealex should perform well if properly taken care of

Sure, its not like people are regularly dripping with DEET anyway. However it is useful to know it will get effected and its not invunerable to chemical attack. There have been strong claims made that such is the case which would obviously lead to you taking no steps to insure it is protected .

-Cliff

Hello Chiro, thanks for the info of DEET on the Sheaths. I think that one should take into account that the DEET will sometimes be for a very long time on the sheath material without the owner knowing it and if so the long exposure can have a bad effect on the sheath material.
From first hand I can tell you that lotion containing 18.75% DEET took the paint clear off a wooden shelf when my daughter spilled some. I then warned her about the paintstripping quality of DEET and she didn't use the shelf anymore to put the cap f the bottle on but the top of the Toilet flushing reservoir which was ... of course made of plastic. The DEET managed to "eat" itself very nicely in the thick plastic. It softened the plastic and even one week after washing the "weak" spot with water/soap the plastic is still soft.
I don't care about these things but one wonders what it will do with one's skin and IN one's body.
Take care, Bagheera

------------------

Well, all plastics are different. Even ones that act very similar and look alike react completely different to different compounds. WHat may be totally destroyed by one chemical may not be affected at all by a very similar chemical just because of the placement of one atom here or there! Chemistry is a beautiful thing! Also, plastics are polymers which makes them inherently weak in that the entire structure consists of the same molecular type. Not all plastics are polymers, but many are, I guess. Anyway, the human body is very diverse in its composition, which offers some protection from chemicals. Also we have innate systems which deal with chemicals and other noxious stimuli.
That said, though, I agree with your principle. DEET should not be overused, and at some level it is likely to be harmful to the human organism, as any chemical introduced to it is. One must always weigh the benefits and the risks and make an educated choice from there.

------------------
On Two Wheels

Thanks for the great info.
smile.gif

Great info Chiro. It is very helpful. I would like to apologize about telling you Kydex 100 was impervious to DEEt though but that is what I heard from Mr. McClung unless I misread what he said which I highly doubt.

very good info though
thanks and take care
collin

No problem, Rudy! I just needed to know for myself. It's never a bright idea to back one's product against something unless you've tested it yourself. In fact, it was your email to me that got me started on this test, so thank YOU! Later!

------------------
On Two Wheels

No thank you Chiro for doing the test. It provided me with valuable info.

thanks and take care
collin

Very interesting test, thank you for sharing your results. I have always wondered about this as well, ever since my time in the Cdn Forces where I've spent some serious time hunping through swamps, we were bathed in Deet (98+ %), and it was having the same effect as what you described on our watch straps.

We used to use the bug repellant as a paint remover on used ammo cans!

Have you tried similar tests on other synthetic materials, like the materials used on handles? Or have you heard of results from such testing?

(For example Zytel and G-10 type handles.)

Great info! We regularly test knife handles with DEET since our adventures are always in need of 'bug juice.' We recently reviewed a Junglee Tactical Drop Point Jr. in the Amazon. One of the tests was to immerse the handle in 100% DEET. After leaving if for 15 minutes, there was no ill effects.

To me, DEET reviews should be standard practice for anyone evaluating blades with synthetic handles, expecially if it's going to be in the hands of wilderness folk - nothing worse than reaching down for your blade and it sticks to your hand.

Although we usually use the submerge process, I have also found, on some materials, DEET produces negative results quicker if a light film is sprayed rather than immerging in the solution....maybe it has something to do with reaction to the oxygen. - Jeff

------------------
Randall's Adventure & Training
jeff@jungletraining.com

Haven't had any problems on those materials...of course we haven't used stag handled knives down there. I can tell you that leather seems to be ok with the DEET but usually lather sheaths don't last long enough in the humidity and swamps to judge whether or not the DEET causes any harm :-) - Jeff

------------------
Randall's Adventure & Training
jeff@jungletraining.com

[This message has been edited by JeffRandall (edited 16 July 1999).]

Back