My thoughts on the production Hiking Buddy

Jonny1280

Where’s the beer?
So I received the pass around production Hiking Buddy last week and I'd like to share my thoughts on the knife. First off I'd like to say that the knife performed excellently. Just like I thought it would. The design stays true to Andy's custom work. The S35VN performed admirably. I wasn't able to put it to as much use as I would have liked, so I won't talk too much about edge retention. But I'm sure the S35VN does just fine.
I've owned a custom HB in the past and I really loved it. It's a knife I've always regretted getting rid of.

The 7 1/4" overall length really is a great size for a small fixed blade. The 3 1/4" handle locks into my hand well and the 4" blade is a good size for basic hiking/camp use.

While using this knife for the last week and thinking about how I'd review it, I found myself thinking, "Would I ever buy a production Hiking Buddy over one of Andy's customs?..."
The answer for me is a definitive no.
Not because it isn't a great knife, because it really is.
I'd like to try my best to explain why I would rather buy a custom HB over a production HB.
When I get a custom Fiddleback in my hands there's something that happens. A sense of joy, excitement, and it's like the knife comes alive in my hand. I notice the hand made details and appreciate the knife. Fiddlebacks are unlike any other fixed blade knife I've owned. Each one is different and unique and and there's a pride in my ownership of Fiddlebacks. I honestly can't tell you how much I love Andy's knives. OK, OK...enough gushing. I'm sure most in this forum feel the same way.

Unfortunately holding and using the production HB, I get none of the same feeling I get from the customs. It felt dead in my hand. There's just no individuality and nothing that makes it special. Well, the S35VN makes it special I suppose. Corrosion resistance is nice too. But I'm not a steel snob plain and simple. I was not a fan of the texturing on the micarta scales either. The directional texturing (ridges) seemed to make my pinky want to slip off the back when I was using it for extended periods.

After using the knife I just knew the production HB just wasn't for me.
So who is it for? Who should buy the production HB?....

I believe anybody who appreciates a premium steel and really likes Fiddlebacks,(but maybe doesn't want to spend Fiddleback Friday prices) would really like this knife. For a production knife the tolerances seem spot on. The fit and finish is great. The sheath is awesome too. I really liked the leather sheath. And you can get the production HB for substantially less than a new custom.

Personally, I'd rather pick up a slightly used HB off the Fiddleback Flea market than buy a new production HB. The production HB is a great knife all around. It really is. But at the end of the day it just doesn't wow me like Andy's custom Fiddlebacks.

Thanks for including me on this pass around. I appreciate the opportunity to use the knife and share my thoughts and feelings.

There is no better feeling in this world then getting your hands on a new custom Fiddleback. The midtech line are great knives but there ain't a knife out there better then a custom Fiddleback.

There is no better feeling in this world then getting your hands on a new custom Fiddleback. The midtech line are great knives but there ain't a knife out there better then a custom Fiddleback.

Yeah, you basically summed up my exact thoughts.
I don't mean to be too critical of the production HB. It's great!
But for me, the customs are head and shoulders above and beyond.

I believe anybody who appreciates a premium steel and really likes Fiddlebacks,(but maybe doesn't want to spend Fiddleback Friday prices) would really like this knife. For a production knife the tolerances seem spot on. The fit and finish is great. The sheath is awesome too. I really liked the leather sheath. And you can get the production HB for substantially less than a new custom.

Thanks for the review, and your enthusiasm for Fiddleback knives. When we started this line we knew it wasn't marketed toward folks who love the handmade Fiddlebacks. Those are generally carbon steel guys, convex guys, and foklks that prefer ease of sharpening to super steels. The production line is more for the super steel lovers who sharpen with diamond stones. They are definitely sterile compared to our handmades.

We are hoping to develop a market for a well made American production knife with premium materials. No nonsense, all tool.

Its a great review my friend. Thank you.

Back