My Vesuvius- An Idea for Sal

Well, I finally got a Vesuvius, and overall I like it a lot. The blade shape is great, the edge terrific (as usual), and the compression lock is neat. The handle material and the inlay are where I'm a little disappointed, but it's understandable in such a reasonably priced knife. The celluloid "pearl" is not as nice as I had hoped, and the material was proud of the handle on one end, and below it at the other.

Here's my neat idea- what about a deluxe version with nicer handle material with a better finish (carbon fiber, micarta, whatever). You then also give people the option of sending you inlay material. Charge whatever it costs to deal with these unknowns. I have some maple flooring from my father's store- I'm sure everyone has something appropriate that holds a special appeal. And you'd be providing something that even Chris Reeve doesn't.

Hi Tepstein. Interesting concept.

Any other opinions? Is that something that would interest you, to have a custom made inlay installed in a higher line Vesuvius?

sal

I'd get a Vesuvius if it were made with just about anything besides FRN: G10, wood, Ti, granite...

I'm fairly certain I will buy the Vesuvius (I love the FRN handles--light and tough), but it would look really great in colored micarta (blue, red, green, or deep orange).

[This message has been edited by allenC (edited 04-19-2001).]

I've seen some pretty nice looking scales made from Corian lately.

I was at the local Home Depot a few weeks ago and saw some a huge selection of colors available.

I'd definitely find an upscale Vesuvius more appealing than FRN. Plenty of cool things I can think of to put in the inlay. I'd also like to see the steel upgraded.

[This message has been edited by Brian_Turner (edited 04-19-2001).]

I would definitely go for a higher-end Vesuvius, depending on the final price of course.

From talking with knifemakers, it sounds to me like the reason Corian isn't used more is because it's heavy and brittle. As an inlay, that shouldn't be an issue, although it might be more tricky to machine a material that chips easily.

Joe

I would also buy a Vesuvius if it was a little more upscale. I was planning on buying one when they were released, but the handles just didn't seem right for my tastes. I do love my other Spidies though.

------------------
Blue Skies!

I like my Vesuvius a lot,since I have had it,most of my other Spidies sit at home now.

I think that a blue FRN handle with a silver or light gray pearl insert would look awesome.

Bruceter

What about colored almite with an abalone inlay? Whatever you do, I'm sure I would buy an upscale Vesuvius, I did buy the titanium Lum Tanto, after all.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what's right" -Hari Seldon, Foundation, -Aasimov

What I REALLY want is a Vesuvius that looks like the prototype pics that were posted... That was a nice looking knife. I like the colored Micarta idea too...

I just picked up my own Vesuvius today. I know some people don't like the FRN handles but I love them!. With its steel liners, this knife is as solid as a tank and the price is great ( I paid $58.50). How often do we get a designer Spyderco with an innovative new lock and ATS-34 steel so cheap? Speaking of the blade, anyone who likes the Wegner or Pro-Venator should love the Vesuvius.

The Vesuvius still has limited availability, at least in looking for it on the dealers whose sites I most often frequent. Anthony, your price looks pretty good. Do you mind mentioning your source?

Any notion as to when wide availability can be expected?

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Back