My Weekend with Andy

Rick Marchand

Donkey on the Edge
Sounds romantic doesn't it?

I had the pleasure of meeting Andy at the USN Gathering in Las Vegas This weekend. As if his legendary knives aren't impressive enough, he is in tremendous shape and as ageless as a greek statue. You wouldn't think we are only separated by 1 year...... hence the pissed off look I'm sporting in the pic.:grumpy:

Here is a pic of Todd, Andy and me. Renowned knifemaker, Todd Begg had just ripped andy a new hole (politely, of course) going over fit and finish, minutes before this pic. You can't tell, but Andy is desparately trying to hold back the tears. :( ..... ha!:p but seriously, as Andy will agree, having the "Big Boys" scrutinize your work is as much exciting as it is humbling.
P9040016.jpg

Here is Andy with ABS Master Smith, Wally Hayes. Just before I snapped the pic, Wally told Andy that he should be asking much more for his knives.
P9040018.jpg

I have handled Fiddleback knives in the past but to see the spread on his table was awesome. My favorite was the chopper in his Bow-Legged line.... an intimidating hunk o metal. Both he and his wife are great people. We had a lot of good laughs. I look forward to seeing Andy again.

.... oh ya.... there WAS talk of a future colaboration, too.

Rick

Last edited:
Hey, that was the highlight of the show for me. Rick and I started making knives at roughly the same time, for the same crowd of folks. I never thought we'd get to meet. It was a helluva week.

Oh my. Is Andy using some sort of beer cozy in the first picture? Such delicate hands. :eek: :p

Whoa! I've always pictured a completely different person in my head!

Boy, ain't that the truth. Maybe that's why his father-in-law helps him every now and then - making sure his little girl doesn't become a widow at a young age.

Andy is one young looking bastard. LOL. My wife says he's one of those sneaky guys that looks all young and innocent, then you start talking to him and you're like "WTF? You did what?! When was this! How old are you?!!" LOL

I'm jealous Andy......... Now, if I go a couple days without shaving.... you won't know which way I'm facing.

Now I'm hurt.

I'm going to go get my Woodsman and cut something.:(

...in the woods.;)

[PSST! You realize you haven't updated your "Knives Available" with your Vegas left-overs ........]

Back