Mycelium to meet ya!

Fungi are awesome. The symbiotic relationship they have with other trees and plants… just the vastness of that hidden world is mind blowing.

This is the biggest shroom that ever popped up in our yard in Fl after some prolonged rain:

oHCfFRil.jpg

it's been raining like crazy here the past couple days, looking forward to seeing what tomorrow brings...

I've had a hard time getting out, but made it this week.
Peppery milky. Find these every year, take a bite chew, spit, 'bout like a decent jalapeno. Never figured out how to use them.

Another milky, I think these are a choice edible, but haven't verified yet.

I figured I had missed the chanterelles this year. I usually only find a couple dozen small ones.
I was pleasantly surprised at my first spot.

found maybe a pound and a half, I was tickled.

I found quite a few more of these, and kept a few to id, but it didn't work out.

I think these are charcoal burner russulas. Found a bunch, but they were old and wormy.

Here I have a question for the more knowledgeable. This bolete is covered in a mold. Is it a lobster? I see these all the time, but it's always a bolete, and not orange.

Here's another.

I have to admit, at this point I'm pretty pleased, and nothing hurts too bad yet, but I have to make a decision. Call it quits and head back the way I came, mostly downhill, or onward to the next spot. I've found chantarelles there, but there are a few more ridges between me and there, and a few more between there and the house.
The decision to go on was tuff but paid off. I never even made it to my other spot. I actually got twisted a bit and was on the wrong ridge when I found...

And

And

It took me 90 minutes to walk up and down that hillside and pick all those. No idea how many, 20 pounds plus.
Almost out, walking down out of the pines beside the house. Had to bend over two more times to pick the indigo milkies I thought were a skull.

And to pick up the box turtle shell I found.

Damned good day.

We are experiencing a dearth of mushrooms this spring/summer and now going into the fall. A dearth in the earth :(

looks like we might finally get some rain at the end of the week, after 3 months of dryness. It's amazing how wilted the ferns and salal are out there. Anyway, looking forward to hopefully lots of edible varieties poking up out of the ground. In the meantime, there are some cool looking ones out there now
HZqCMlB.jpg

Back