Mystery 261sc and some other customs

Some Schrades. The Lb7b I know is a Dorris Yazzie. The top and Bottom two I have no idea if they were done by someone for the factory or someone rescaled them. I'd be interested to know who did them if that's the case. The 261sc with South Western design has me stumped, it has a serial number #11900 on the bolster and mirrored blades. I thought "sc" stood for "scrimshaw". Maybe not? Was this a factory custom? It's nicely done but...... Anyone seen one of these or have ideas?

schrades.jpg

I am pretty sure none of that handled work was done by Schrade. The SC blades were intended for the hot stamp fake scrimshaw. If I had to guess I would say that all of those knives with that stamp had the Delrin covers at one point before they were worked up by someone. Some very pretty knives there. I like the top one the best.

I agree with everything tongueriver said and...

Your pic is a little too low-res to make out any stamps but I'll tell you what I'm thinking... for what it's worth.

From the top down:

1. Customized knife, not factory. It takes a little less cutler know-how to just glue on the handles (without pinning them as well). This opens up the field of possible makers considerably. Without a signature stamp, etch or engraving, I think it will be pretty hard to nail down exactly who did the work.

2. As you say, a Dorris Yazzie custom. "DY Navajo" is how Ms. Yazzie signs her knives. I can't see it on the pic but it sure looks like her style of work.

3. Jimmy Sabo! He designs these Zuni style inlay patterns and has a team who work for him. Together, he and his employees cut out and assemble these intricate designs before mounting them on knives. His ebay seller name is "txcaseemporium".

Recently sold Sabo creations:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/txcaseempo...lete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

I only have one of his knives but it's one of my favorites and firmly in the not-for-sale category. I posted it a while back:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/7ot-with-fine-pearl-gemstone-inlays-by-jimmy-sabo.1751194/

I also started a thread elsewhere where folks can post their Sabo knives. I harvested a lot of his knife pics to get it started so there are tons of attractive examples to browse through. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67682

4. I'm totally guessing but if the reverse of the knife has a plain wooden handle then the Camillus-involved company "Santa Fe Stoneworks" comes to mind. They did a lot of "one-sided" customs to keep their price-point lower. It looks like their style of customization, but again, a lot of people are capable of doing such work and without a signature etc. it's hard to say for sure. If it's the same on both sides it's less likely to be Santa Fe Stoneworks but it's still possible as they would do both sides to match if the customer requested that and paid extra for it.

Four fine knives!

#4 is both sides. I'm familiar with Santa Fe Stoneworks, I have a few and atleast one other (a Buck 110) is double sided, most of the ones I have are Camillus made though. I wasn't aware Schrade knives were used by them. I'll check out Jimmy Sabo. Thanks for the input!

#4 is both sides. I'm familiar with Santa Fe Stoneworks, I have a few and atleast one other (a Buck 110) is double sided, most of the ones I have are Camillus made though. I wasn't aware Schrade knives were used by them. I'll check out Jimmy Sabo. Thanks for the input!
You were right! #3 is a Jimmy Sabo knife. Thanks again!

Back