1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Mystery stone in a tri-stone system

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Yar, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Yar

Yar

Jul 19, 2015
    I was gifted this generic tri-stone system and I took 2 of the 3 stones off the block due to a poor glue job. The coarse stone appears to be man made and the medium is an Arkansas stone. However, the fine white stone is incredibly soft and using it actively peels away the material and seems to make the knife more dull than before. It has a very “granular” feel when using it.

Any ideas as to what the fine stone is?

http://imgur.com/a/jHEZc2a

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    bucketstove likes this.
  2. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Yar, does your tri-hone have 2X8" stones? DM

3. Yar

Yar

Jul 19, 2015
    Yes.

4. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Yar, it looks like the stone on the left is coarse crystalone, the middle stone is a fine India and the white one is a soft Arkansas. Clean them
    up and they will last 30 years. DM

5. Yar

Yar

Jul 19, 2015
  6. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    It would be finer than both the Crystolon and India stones in the set...

...it is considered coarser than other Arkansas stones if you were comparing them.

7. I was waiting for DM to offer his insights on it, and my hunch is running the same way. The behavior of the white stone, in shedding grit, mirrors the behavior of a smallish (pocket-sized) 'soft' Arkansas I've got. It's not very aggressive in cutting steel, and it's tendency to dish or gouge easily with edge-leading sharpening leaves me not very anxious to use it. I've fiddled with it occasionally, but have never liked my edges coming off it (burrs like crazy, while not cutting very well, even on simple steels). This may not be reflective of better quality soft Ark stones (it's the only one I've got, currently), so I'm inclined to believe some are probably much better than others. I'm still contemplating buying a bench-size soft Ark one of these days, from a reputable source.

The labelling of the stone as a 'Fine' in your setup may be reflective of it's relative aggressiveness (or lack of same), or maybe just a labelling error in an inexpensive Tri-hone set. I have an old 6" Tri-hone setup that's also 'generic' in it's manufacture with no marked brand on it; I've no idea where it was made, and I'm sure I didn't pay much for it 25+ years ago, when I bought it (I don't even remember where). And in mine, the 'medium' stone in the set (an Arkansas) is not so impressive, as compared to some other medium Ark stones I have. The Coarse stone in my set is very aggressive (probably SiC) and the 'Fine' is a translucent Arkansas that I've been pretty impressed with. I feel like I got lucky with that stone, at least, for whatever little money I paid.

If the 'medium' in your set is a Fine India (or similar AlOx), then the labelling of the soft Ark as a 'Fine' makes sense, in that sequence. It would be the least aggressive of the three.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  8. Yar

Yar

Jul 19, 2015
    Sounds exactly like mine.

9. In reading DM's post, it would make sense that this particular stone might be the 'Fine' if the medium stone in the set is an India (Fine) as he mentioned. A Fine India would still be more aggressive, as it's aluminum oxide and will cut much deeper.

10. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    There is one stone coarser in the Arkansas line. It is a Washita at 500 grit. DM

11. Yar

Yar

Jul 19, 2015
    lex2006 likes this.
  12. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Ok, that looks like a Washita in your photo. Good job. DM