N A S K finalized

rodriguez7

Gila wilderness knife works
just curious if you've settled on the final product. I may have missed it somewhere , but figured I'd ask. And can we get some pics please?

As far as we know, nothing final till after the Blade 2017 Show.

Thanks for almost giving me a heart attack with your title!

Last edited:
I think we have settled on a final design. We incorporated some changes in the tang and handle shaping based on feedback from Lorien, and he helped us confirm some details on the blade geometry so we have started cutting chips on this project. There is 3V in a machine right now.

The will be the first project where the bevels are milled on the new Mori, I'm pretty stoked about it.

I think we have settled on a final design. We incorporated some changes in the tang and handle shaping based on feedback from Lorien, and he helped us confirm some details on the blade geometry so we have started cutting chips on this project. There is 3V in a machine right now.

The will be the first project where the bevels are milled on the new Mori, I'm pretty stoked about it.

So it's time to start drivin' the Ferrari, huh? Have fun with it, Nathan!

any changes will be almost invisible to you guys, based on what you've seen up til this point. 'Minor tweaks', I believe is the technical term

got Mori? No worries!

Nice, can't wait. How do I edit the title. I was in a hurry and just threw it up. Sorry about that!

^^^in addition to seeing the changes, hopefully Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist will elaborate why they were incorporated.

The scales geometry is modeled using NURBS spline geometry and ISDX surfacing rather than just a variable section sweep and rounds etc. This is a little more time consuming to set up and it is easy to make a gross cat turd of a design like this, but it gives us the ability to make very specific tweaks in specific areas. We narrowed the geometry in specific areas to reduce grip circumference a hair in a few spots allowing it to overall fill in the hand better to lock in during extended push cutting like you'd do shaving ends into points etc.

The butt flair was rounded some to allow the knife to be held in a three finger grip. This extends reach and actually makes this relatively compact knife work reasonably well as a compact chopper. I know, I was skeptical at first too, but once you try it, it makes perfect sense. We're on revision 9 on the grip.

The plunge radius on the blade was changed from a constant radius to a C2 curvature continuous blend so instead of an instantaneous change in rate of curvature it's a little more gradual.

These are all subtle tweaks.

Thanks Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist
The C2 curve on the plunge line is an extremely fine nuance - probably not even possible with traditional stock removal, only via CNC machining. There are probably one maker in 100 that understands the difference this makes in stress risers. Incredible product and process!

The scales geometry is modeled using NURBS spline geometry and ISDX surfacing rather than just a variable section sweep and rounds etc. This is a little more time consuming to set up and it is easy to make a gross cat turd of a design like this, but it gives us the ability to make very specific tweaks in specific areas. We narrowed the geometry in specific areas to reduce grip circumference a hair in a few spots allowing it to overall fill in the hand better to lock in during extended push cutting like you'd do shaving ends into points etc.

The butt flair was rounded some to allow the knife to be held in a three finger grip. This extends reach and actually makes this relatively compact knife work reasonably well as a compact chopper. I know, I was skeptical at first too, but once you try it, it makes perfect sense. We're on revision 9 on the grip.

The plunge radius on the blade was changed from a constant radius to a C2 curvature continuous blend so instead of an instantaneous change in rate of curvature it's a little more gradual.

These are all subtle tweaks.

Real world testing is crucial when you want to deliver to the market an exceptionally good product, as it helps winnow out anything that stands in the way of performance.

Very nice demonstration, that's what I wanted to see:thumbsup:;) Thanks lorien, quite a bit of chopping, bet you need a nap:rolleyes:! Thanks again for showing the N.A.S.K. in action (Hard use):thumbsup:
boy-with-knife-cartoon-stock-illustration-2984967.jpg

Dang! That is quite a bit of chopping action just for the cameras on that hefty log. Well done Lorien.

We need a proper review.. I dont know what these other guys are talking about.. I thought that was crap.. shaking the camera and all

Start by cutting paper, then tomatoes and other stuff in the kitchen, then rope, etc..

Baton a bunch of wood put the camera on the tripod on the side, so its not shaking.. then after show the edge close up. Then try to shave hair with it, I want to know if its still shaving hari after a bunch of batoning

Then go chops some soda cans, both sideways, then the bottom.. the hard stuff. Once again, show the edge up close with a good camera, then try to shave with it.. I want to see edge after.

Then try to slice paper again

You do crap reviews..theyre not even reviews.. its more like you screwing around

I gotta be from a diff planet.. everyone besides me thinks that was a good review

Back