Naked and Afraid - What would you bring?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by sideways, Jul 17, 2013.

1. sideways

sideways

Feb 19, 2013
    There is a new survival TV series out called naked and afraid. The gist of the show is that they take two people (a man and woman) and put them into a survival situation with nothing except for one personal item each in a cloth bag. No clothes, no shoes, nothing but that one item. The challenge lasts 21 days.

Now personally I would never bet my survival on one item but it is kind of fun to consider the possibilities. To avoid the obvious KNIFE answers lets say you know for sure that your partners item is a knife. What would your one item be? Additionally, if you feel like mentioning a specific knife feel free to do so.

I'm thinking a large clear heavy duty plastic sheet. You could use it to make a solar still, to catch rainwater and for waterproofing a shelter.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  2. psychophipps

psychophipps

Aug 25, 2009
    Biggest Space Blanket I could find. Does everything the plastic sheet does and reflects heat for thermal regulation.

3. hatidua

hatidua

Jul 28, 2010
    Depends on where. I'd choose a different item if this was set in Arizona than if it were set in the tropics.

4. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt

Jun 23, 2007
    Super Hot woman?

5. Los Angeles

Los Angeles

Jul 4, 2009
    Bic lighter.

6. sideways

sideways

Feb 19, 2013
    The locations/episodes are:
    1) The Costa Rican jungle
    2) The plains of Tanzania (Serengeti)
    3) A Maldivian island
    4) A Panamanian island
    5) Borneo

That is already included if you chose your partner well. :D

7. Tripwire895

Tripwire895

Jun 17, 2012
    A fully stocked and mobile RV, or maybe a boat, since all the episodes I've seen are near water.

8. schwartztactical

schwartztactical

Jun 19, 2013
    100% deet

9. sideways

sideways

Feb 19, 2013
    Haha yeah those bugs can be a force of nature. A bug net or sprays is something I would seriously consider as well. :D

10. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell

Apr 20, 2001
    a good firestarter.

And if I could pick the knife, ESEE 6.

11. pwerfel

pwerfel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 14, 2009
    pants

WinchesteRalox likes this.
  12. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel. Now we don't have to worry about breaking the knife via batoning, and can dig, chop, paddle, etc.

13. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    If the knife is a given then I want a sure method of fire. A Bic would be nice but I have started fires in most conditions with a firesteel so either would be fine with preference on the firesteel.

14. kristopher

kristopher

May 28, 2005
    Did anyone watch the episode where the survival instructor was trying to make a bow drill fire. She was getting very frustrated because the vine she was attempting to use as a cord kept messing up. She was wearing the bag, which looked to be made of woven cord at the time.
    Survival isn't about being some sort of Rambo, it is about being able to look at things and see different purposes for them.
    I would lay more money on someone who grew up poor in the country, making do with what they had and reusing everything surviving than I would a lot of the instructors out there who simply took a few classes and never figured out how to make a fire without a lighter.

Kristopher

BuzzsawJohnny likes this.
  15. kristopher

kristopher

May 28, 2005
    Oh and I forgot to say what I would bring. A decent quality machete. You can do or make almost anything you want with a good sized fixed blade or a machete.

Kristopher

16. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    A big mirror. So that everyone in the TV audience could see how many people and how much resources are right behind the camera while we're trying to "survive."

17. Andster2

Andster2

Feb 18, 2007
    Since the knife is a given, then I would choose a metal container.

18. KenM

KenM

Jul 9, 2013
    Lots of beer. A man can endure anything with a good supply of beer...Even a woman that has not bathed in 21 days. :p

19. ThriftyJoe

ThriftyJoe

Nov 6, 2011

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  20. Ultraman

Ultraman

Oct 28, 2005
    How about a two or three person tent? I would try to scavenge other items out of it, such as clothing, cordage, fishing net, spear, foot bindings. It would be perfect if the other person brought a knife or take-apart scissors (so both people can have blades).