Recommendation? Name and manufacturer of this knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Lhakryma, Oct 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lhakryma

Lhakryma

Oct 23, 2019
    Not sure if this is the correct category for this :)

So I was around looking for a nice bowie knife, and I stumbled upon this:
    [​IMG]

Now I am more or less completely unknowledgeable on knives, and the website barely provides any information on this. [REMOVED WEBSITE LINK]

Here's the info they provide:
    Code:
    Damascus Bowie

·         Greutate (weight): 705 g

·         Lungime totală (total length): 401 mm

·         Lungimea lamei (blade length): 260 mm

·         Tipul de oțel (steel type): Damascus

·         Duritate (hardness): 58 HRC

·         Material Mâner (handle material): din piele (leather)

·         Teaca (sheath):  din piele (leather)
    Doesn't say what kind of steel they use, or the manufacturer. I'm wondering if anybody here knows the exact model this knife is.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  2. K.O.D.

K.O.D. My head is on loose but my shoes are tight Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
  3. Lhakryma

Lhakryma

Oct 23, 2019
    But I'm not trying to sell it, I wanna see if anybody knows what model this is, so I can get more info on it.

EDIT: there I removed all mentions of the price :) I just need the actual name so I can get some info on it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  4. K.O.D.

Aug 21, 2013
    Sorry. I could be wrong, but if no manufacturer or country of origin is listed, it's probably Pakistani, with low quality pattern welded steel. They are all over the internet, flea markets, etc.

I wouldn't trust it.

5. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Looks like a Pakistani damascus knife to me. They always claim that they are made in Canada or the US or Germany etc.
    With no manufacturer or maker's mark stamped on the blade I would say it isn't worth the price.

marcinek and benchwarmer380 like this.
  6. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Not a bad looking knife, but I would look elsewhere.

As a site that sells knives, (I recommend removing the link as they're not a dealer here) it would or should have the manufacturer or makers name and likely the steel listed too.

Since they don't, it's likely a cheap Pakistani made knife that is mass produced and sold wholesale en masse. Many "makers" or sites buy a bunch and sometimes put their own branding on to dupe buyers in thinking they are hand made by them.

Check out our makers forum here. Plenty of nice knives in that price range by people that respect and honor their craft. Even some from across the pond.

danbot likes this.
  7. Lee D

Lee D

May 27, 2013
    If you really like the design, I’d have someone make one for you so there’s not an “unknown factor”

benchwarmer380 likes this.
  8. Lhakryma

Lhakryma

Oct 23, 2019
    Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys! I will not go for it then.
    Will probably go for the Cold Steel 1917 Frontier Bowie, which they also sell for around the same :)

Jody744, Alberta Ed and marcinek like this.
  9. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    These show up on Ebay sometimes, they are a Pakistani copy of the Down Under Knives Outback Bowie, that was reportedly made in China. All are based on the Bowring knife used in Crocodile Dundee.

The Bowring knife is based on the Puma knives bowie and the older Remington knives.

Edit - Google search "DM1204 Damascus Steel Bowie Knife" for the knife in the original post.

chiral.grolim likes this.
  10. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Infinitely better choice.

11. Lhakryma

Lhakryma

Oct 23, 2019
    I read that it rusts rather easily though :(

12. marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Well. To keep it from rusting, there is an, admittedly, complicated procedure you can use.

1) Finish using knife.
    2) Wipe it off.

:)

13. K.O.D.

Aug 21, 2013
    A little oil, tuf-glide, hoppes no. 9, etc helps.

14. marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    True. Mineral oil works, is available at your pharmacy/drugstore, and is cheap.

15. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    The Cold Steel is 100x better then what you originally showed.

Check and see if Condor Tool and Knife is available from a website that delivers to you. Condor makes a few bowie types knives and they should be less expensive then the Cold Steel if you are on a budget.

Like others have said, a carbon steel blade requires a little bit of care but nothing too drastic.

16. Black Oak Bladeworks

Black Oak Bladeworks Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Jun 5, 2019
    Wipe a little oil on it and you should be good. I tried using a vinegar patina on some of my 1095 knives with good results. I still keep them oiled well, but it definitely helps with the rust issue.

17. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    It may well be Pakistani, but the info sheet is a a Romance language, although not one I can readily identify. Portuguese? Romanian? Ladino?

18. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Google Translate wants to believe that it's Romanian. In case that's important.

Henry Beige likes this.
  19. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Hmmmm.

I noticed that the snap on the sheath says "Rite Edge", so I plugged that into a search. This... may not be just another $12 Pakstani pot-metal lookalike.

Apparently, SZCO started an initiative to help war veterans. The effort is based out of Wyoming, and the article I found says that they (the veterans) "hand craft and assemble each custom piece".

This doesn't explain how much "hand crafting" goes into these knives. The blades themselves could still be mystery steel.

It doesn't lay out how much these veterans are paid, or much of anything else, really.

So, I would say:

1) It's not just another flea-market special

2) Some effort is being made to do good with these knives

3) We don't know exactly how sincere that effort is

20. Lhakryma

Lhakryma

Oct 23, 2019
    It is in Romania :)