Name me some VG-10 blades!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Kamoe, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Kamoe

Kamoe

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm in the market for a good VG-10 blade, I'm curious to test out it's highly touted capability for a fine edge. Besides the ever well-known Spyderco Delica and Endura series, name me some good non-auto VG-10 EDC slicers. Believe me when I say the Delica is high on my buyer's list, but I want a few more options and considerations before I pull the trigger.

By all means, be as biased as you want, I want recommendations based on your experiences.

2. d0nut

d0nut

Dec 5, 2012
    The Delica should be an automatic purchase. Dont even think twice.

Kershaw Lahar is another one that comes to mind.

SOG Spec series used to be VG-10 the last time I checked.

3. blades&wrenches

blades&wrenches Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Stretch

4. craytab

craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    SOG has a bunch of their higher end Folders in VG-10 with the arc lock. I have had a Vulcan. Couldn't stand the pocket clip. I still have a Spec Elite II which I love. A slicer it is not though. I think Spyderco will have the market on slicer VG-10 blades. Oh, Al mar is another one to look at.

5. d0nut

d0nut

Dec 5, 2012
    AG Russell makes a few different varieties in VG-10 as well.

6. crom

crom

Mar 29, 2007
    Mcusta, edit to add my only experience is handling my co-workers scalpel sharp gentlemans edc type in cocobolo. My experience with VG10 mostly comes from my Lahar which I carried exclusively for 2 years and still carry from time to time. Easy to get sharp and keep that way, pretty forgiving, never had any damage that wasn't easy to repair, no chips etc.

7. Jens Schuetz

Jens Schuetz

Jun 24, 2013
    Masahiro

8. JungleJim65

JungleJim65 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Boker Kwaiken flipper (Burnley) in titanium or carbon fiber both have versions with VG-10. Decent production version of the Burnley custom.

9. calc

calc

Apr 7, 2014
    I wouldn't worry about pulling the trigger on the Delica, it's a great knife. I'd also second the Stretch suggestion.

10. Zidfeldts

Zidfeldts

Dec 28, 2010
    Definitely!

11. SliCed

SliCed

Feb 12, 2014
    Yeah, you have to get the Delica unless you hate lockbacks. Lots of baby Spydercos such as: Dragonfly, Cricket, Lady Bug, Lava, and Spin. Maybe check out the Police or Centofante. There are a lot of Bokers, but not sure how I feel recommending that brand.

Kizer Ki302B1, Ki302B2, Ki302F, Ki404BF, and there's probably more Kizers out there with VG-10.

12. KenHash

KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    Masahiro only makes Kitchen knives. This is the Hattori Family company. Ichiro Hattori split off in 1971
    to pursue his interest in hunting/outdoor knives. His cousin or nephew is the current president of Masahiro.

VG10 folders are predominantly G.Sakai or Moki made these days regardless of brand label. Tough to recommend something
    just on the steel type. Some more parameters would help.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  13. Jens Schuetz

Jens Schuetz

Jun 24, 2013
    Cool. Didn't know the history only liking their VG10 in my Santoku for example.

14. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    The Stretch is a fantastic design, and the Delica is a classic. Can't go wrong with either one.

15. KenHash

KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    Yes, VG10 is widely used in Japanese cooking knives. But the OP's reference to Delica and Endura kind of suggested
    that he wasn't talking about cooking knives.

16. TravisH

TravisH Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Endura, Stretch, Centofante, Delica - all slicy goodness, especially in FFG.

17. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Al Mar uses it in a few modes like the sere, shrike, nomad & payara.
    Sog vulcan series uses it and also In a San mai tanto version. Also 2 other models using it are visionary1&2 by sog.
    Always the sog tomcat & fat cat too.

18. KenHash

KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    Al Mar's knives are now made by Moki. They used to be made by G.Sakai.
    SOG's high end folders are either solid VG10 or VG10 laminate (sanmai) and
    are all made by G.Sakai. Spyderco's Seki models have traditionally been made by G.Sakai,
    although that may have changed to Moki recently, not sure. All of Fallknieven's folders
    are made by Moki. As mentioned, most folders in VG10 regardless of brand label
    are from these two Seki factories.

19. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
  20. Mgj48

Mgj48

Jan 13, 2015
    This one for sure. $76