Name That Wood (again)

daizee

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi All,

Anybody have a good guess at what this might be? It's super hard, very dense. I split some off what may have been a stair tread, and plan to use it on a little carry knife for myself.

Thanks!

IMG_20170110_203432.jpg

If I had to guess I would say it was ipe - if you got it from a stair tread it was probably a piece of decking.

I had something similar given to me and the closest thing i could find on wood data base was mountain mahogany.

I had some brazilian cherry from stair treads that looked remarkably like that. It could be ipe but it seems a little light to me for that.

Stair tread makes me think Red Oak. My sister in law has stairs made from it and it looks very similar.

I install hardwood floors for a living and as someone else already said I believe it is Jatoba, otherwise known as Brazilian Cherry. Jatoba tends to darken with age or exposure to light. If the piece has been covered by something in a particular area for an extended period of time, it would remain noticeably lighter in the covered area as opposed to the uncovered area. It is extremely hard but has a tendency to be brittle or crack because of that.

If it was installed on top I can see Jatoba. If it's something purchased I have seen eucalyptus tossed in spots they need something hard and it can look like that.

I have used Lyptus for Mahogany replacement and depending on how it has been cut and milled, it can look like that. Made some letter openers with some scraps.
Very stable and fairly hard.

Wood has expressed pores and very needle splitters ... keep an eye on it
DSC03356.jpg

DSC03360.jpg

One of my early works.
I tried many hardwoods, most of the top of the Janka scale and certainly know what's what, my wooden obsession was very strong and I made the effort to learn something.:)

Last edited:
Back