Names you have heard besides "valet" and "gear dump" for EDC organizers?

ElementalBreakdown

Gold Member
I'm using a strong metal 1" basket that came with my UV sanitizer (got an extra one just for this) so I can keep my gear on the way out the door.
I'm kind of outgrowing it.

I searched combinations of all the words in the thread here and on Google - here it is mostly old sales, and the stuff on Google is mostly leather trays or nightstand pieces designed to hold a sidearm. I stopped sleeping with a sidearm when the kids were born, locked in a safe I can get to in a few secs, so not really a need for that feature.

So I was thinking I have some lumber and some magnets to make a cool hidden lock and am looking for either a link to a product or plans to build / buy an edc box myself that have some cool features.

There are links below some interesting projects/products, but they are either too much, missing options, etc. and if anyone knows of any others, update the thread. If I find something good, I'll do the same.

I'll post a pic later of my current EDC holder to keep things organized.if it were steel and not aluminum, I'd probably just use magnets to stack 2 of them and be done with it.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm a little unclear, Do you want something for a sidearm or not? Does it need to lock or include a hidden compartment?
Do you need a place to hold items you take when you leave the house, or when you sleep?

I ask because I have a place (basically a tray) for items I take when I leave the house, and that does not include items that are normally kept on my person, and also does not include knives, or a sidearm that little ones or any other person could get their hands on.
I also have a place (again, a tray) for my things when I sleep, which includes everything normally kept on my person, and of course does not include sidearm, for the reasons I stated above.

AND I would also be interested in new or interesting ways to accomplish these things, so following to see what others are doing as well.

Sorry, let me clarify because I think we are on the same page,,,

The guns have to be within reach but not accessible to kids- not part of a bedside organizer. A SECOND organizer where I can dump things in the place most convenient for when you are going to be in and out of the house a few times a day.

The tray itself needs something a little better than literally a fancy leather tray.

What are you looking for in this type of organizer? It seems more and more likely that we are going to have to build it ourselves or at least get the basic blueprints to modify.

In fact, this could really be broken into 3 different things-

-a bedside option for items you want handy in your room (for me a good flashlight with high intensity strobe option, phone holder, and multiple usb charging). This can waste a little bit of space. The bedside location is more of where everything charges overnight (at least half a dozen USB ports) plus a big sub-hilt fighter and my light.

-A convenience EDC holder that takes up as little space as possible nearest where you enter/leave your house
(I keep my gear in sorta my man cave bathroom attached to garage because it is on the way out of the door, so during the day I usually dump out my wallet, phone, etc. in there especially when I know I will be running in and out all day. I don't know of others do the same, but I only carry my knife and sometimes my light around the house.

- an extremely secure (probably hidden) firearms storage place within a few steps of where I sleep.

I have a bunch of options with the hidden firearms holder(s) that are child-proof, but still need an organizer for both bedside and the most convenient location for you when you know you will be in and out of the house all day and don't want to carry everything around the house.

Let me know what your thoughts are on the convenience vs. nightstand organizers. Our house isn't a mansion, but it's a hassle to take off the boots and go upstairs to grab my gear when I am in and out of the house all day.

Your 3 options are pretty much right on the money for me. I'll highlight or add a couple of points specific to my wants/needs:

-a bedside option for items you want handy in your room (for me a good flashlight (agree) with high intensity strobe option, phone holder, and multiple usb charging (agree)). This can waste a little bit of space. The bedside location is more of where everything charges overnight (at least half a dozen USB ports) plus a big sub-hilt fighter (Same, minus the sub-hilt) and my light. Plus, wallet and watch.

-A convenience EDC holder that takes up as little space as possible nearest where you enter/leave your house
(I keep my gear in sorta my man cave bathroom attached to garage because it is on the way out of the door, so during the day I usually dump out my wallet, phone, etc. in there especially when I know I will be running in and out all day. I don't know of others do the same, but I only carry my knife and sometimes my light around the house.
I always have a knife and my phone, unless I'm in running shorts. So for me this location is primarily for my keys and wallet.

- an extremely secure (probably hidden) firearms storage place within a few steps of where I sleep.
I don't have one at the moment, but I'm used to using a lockbox attached to a wall just inside my closet with a simplex style mechanical lock (no keys to fumble with and no batteries to die at the wrong time). I have used one by Shotlock, and am considering Fort Knox and a couple of others as we speak.

For the "convenience" tray, a tray of some sort is sufficient, maybe made of heavy rubber, so it doesn't move easily and things don't clatter when dropped into it.
For the bedside, I imagine wood, maybe also lined with rubber, and preferably incorporating USB charging.

Here's one rthat checks off a few boxes... but I am looking at RFID/secret magnetc locks to add to both the firearm storage spot and the non-bedroom "tray":

The nightstand with charging options is the last priority, but I do need that soon because I leave for work at odd times and don't want to fumble through gear and wake anyone up.
Defibitely need more than 6 ports to charge.
sidenote-if you are into the Olight products, their "Omino"charger does 5 of their proprietary magnetic chargers at once and has been extremely convenient for me.

Their "Warrior Pro Mini" is my current go-to light- had 2 switches (top and tail) and the tail switch can be left on strobe to buy you a few seconds if you have an intruder, or just want to draw attention to a situation. Great choices from moonlight to around about 1500 lumens on both switches. Anyway, I think the Omino is going to be part of both my bedside and 2ndary EDC dump solution. Their Obulbs are pretty good too- low red mode allows enough light without being bright enough to wake anyone on dim red mode...

A few more piecers that can be added for charging capability.... for those who have not tried the fancier multi socket/multi USB chargers, there's a bad tendency for the plugs to be extremely loose to the point even bumping into them will disengage devices. The nicest looking multiple outlet +n USB charger I have, the plugs are literally so loose that pulling just a little on anything connected to them causes it to come out of the socket. Really anoying if you have something like an AC unit that has to cycle before the compressor will turn back on...

this one is kinda col for the nightstand, but obviously still needs a tray and stuff. I looked into secret magnetic closures and you can add a drawer with secret magnet opening mechanism for under $10...

Last edited:
Karna, while I was going about my day I listened to a bunch of sources about where burglars /thieves look and what doe/does not deter...
So far, the shelves locked with RFID chips didn't come up in any searches, as in they are generally not a well-known hiding spot.
How do you feel about these RFID protected shelves with hidden drawers to store firearms?

Without the fob, they look like normal floating shelves.
I'm conflicted. At the least, I'd want ammo/clips stored separately, but then I feel like I am back to square 1 which is taking the loaded piece out of my safe bolted into a foot of concrete and returning it to the safe before leaving for work.

Do you think a big knife (like the subhilt I mentioned) is useless? Right now I have an N52 grade rare earth magnet which keeps it totally secure next to or behind the nightstand but easily to reach without getting out of bed even.

The lanyard fits my hand perfectly so I don't think it'd be easy for someone to overpower me and take it, and if I let it go as I reach for a firearm it's not going to fall from my hand.

But I am definitely not stubborn about this thinking, let me know why you don't prefer this option and maybe you are considering something I'm not.

I'll get pics posted ASAP of what I am using now, just had another surgery a bit ago and still not much able to do much. But if you like the simple basket I am using I can tell you where to get them - 33 I think they are $5each and a low tech solution especially if you line it with decent microfiber.

That's another thing I wanted to ask you about, those "EDC hanks". I tried out 2 dozen different microfibers and found a really great kind, but they are small. Good news is they are gentle enough for electronics though.

Check out a simple version opf the shelf- there are a ton of different companies and options:

Last edited:
Back