Native 5 Dilemma

I need a little help here. I'm new to the knife world and the forums. I'm like a month in, but have been somewhat of a quick study, because watches are my first love, and I've found many similarities between the two. Over the last month I have purchased the Benchmade 940-1, Benchmade Bugout, Para 3, Civivi Baklash, and the Carbon Fiber Native 5. The dilemma I have is with the Native 5. There's something about the carbon scales that throw me off. When I pick it up, the texture feels like I'm wiping my fingers against a chalkboard, if that makes any sense. The Benchmade 940-1 is carbon as well, but it feels like it has a little more texture to it, or perhaps my hand grips the knife better overall because it's narrow. I like the Native 5, so I bought the Native 5 Lightweight in the dark blue with the s110v steel. I already like the FRN scales better. Just more to grip, to be honest. Also, the Carbon Native 5 almost felt too nice to use! I guess what I'm asking is, will I miss the Carbon Native 5 if I return it? Am I missing something here? Keep both? (Although, I'd prefer to keep one or the other...so would my wife.) I also thought about returning it because I already have a carbon Benchmade so perhaps I have that aspect of my burgeoning collection covered. After what I've purchased, this will be my last knife for a while, so I want to make the right decision.

Thanks in advance!

If you can afford to keep both, keep both. In a few months you may decide you like the carbon fiber more than the FRN scales, or you may discover a situation where you prefer it. Especially since you are new to knives. I see lots of forum posts where people wish they hadn't gotten rid of a certain knife at one point in the past.

If you can afford to keep both, keep both. In a few months you may decide you like the carbon fiber more than the FRN scales, or you may discover a situation where you prefer it. Especially since you are new to knives. I see lots of forum posts where people wish they hadn't gotten rid of a certain knife at one point in the past.
Good point. I would hate to rebuy a knife, especially if it's becomes hard to find or is more expensive....

Last edited:
I need a little help here. I'm new to the knife world and the forums. I'm like a month in, but have been somewhat of a quick study, because watches are my first love, and I've found many similarities between the two. Over the last month I have purchased the Benchmade 940-1, Benchmade Bugout, Para 3, Civivi Baklash, and the Carbon Fiber Native 5. The dilemma I have is with the Native 5. There's something about the carbon scales that throw me off. When I pick it up, the texture feels like I'm wiping my fingers against a chalkboard, if that makes any sense. The Benchmade 940-1 is carbon as well, but it feels like it has a little more texture to it, or perhaps my hand grips the knife better overall because it's narrow. I like the Native 5, so I bought the Native 5 Lightweight in the dark blue with the s110v steel. I already like the FRN scales better. Just more to grip, to be honest. Also, the Carbon Native 5 almost felt too nice to use! I guess what I'm asking is, will I miss the Carbon Native 5 if I return it? Am I missing something here? Keep both? (Although, I'd prefer to keep one or the other...so would my wife.) I also thought about returning it because I already have a carbon Benchmade so perhaps I have that aspect of my burgeoning collection covered. After what I've purchased, this will be my last knife for a while, so I want to make the right decision.

Thanks in advance!
Send it to me for proper disposal :D
Seriously though, if you only want to keep one, keep the one you like better.

I usually know if something is for me or not for me pretty quickly. If it’s not for me, I get rid of it one way or another. (Give it away, sell it, send it back, etc)

When you make the decision, get rid of it quick and don’t look back.

Why didn’t you get the g10 version?

I always go g10. The one time I didn’t was when i got a zt 0566cf. I traded a buddy for his g10 scale after a few months

Is it the fluted carbon fiber or smooth?

I have the fluted Ti and really enjoy it. I have mixed feelings about the CF version mainly because it's so light it feels a bit cheaper. The looks and quality are there for sure tho.

If you like the FRN better it sounds like an easy decision.

Is it the fluted carbon fiber or smooth?

I have the fluted Ti and really enjoy it. I have mixed feelings about the CF version mainly because it's so light it feels a bit cheaper. The looks and quality are there for sure tho.

If you like the FRN better it sounds like an easy decision.
Fluted Carbon

Fluted Carbon
I ask to check that one out every time I visit my local knife shop. I have been close to buying it a couple of times, but it is on the expensive side of natives. It is a major contrast between the beefy Ti and lightweight CF.

I think the FRN will serve you fine, and it sounds like you have a good variety of knives without keeping both versions. Also, I don't see spyderco discontinuing the native series anytime soon, so you can always snag a variation in the future.

I ask to check that one out every time I visit my local knife shop. I have been close to buying it a couple of times, but it is on the expensive side of natives. It is a major contrast between the beefy Ti and lightweight CF.

I think the FRN will serve you fine, and it sounds like you have a good variety of knives without keeping both versions. Also, I don't see spyderco discontinuing the native series anytime soon, so you can always snag a variation in the future.
Same. I feel that even though I'm new to knives, I have somewhat of a decent varied start without keeping both.

The thing that I like about the fluted CF version, is that the CF is slightly rounded as opposed to just a flat slab. It just makes it a little different from the other versions. I do however like them all. The native 5 has become my favorite EDC. So much so, that I am considering making it, and different versions of it, my exclusive EDC knife.

I have a number of Natives and I think the fluted CF is really the tip top of the line. Personally, I would not ever sell it. It bumped a couple of the Native LWs back to their drawer -- for now.

Now that the cd native is used, it’s probably only worth $40. You can send it over to me and I’ll PayPal you. Heck I’ll even be nice and cover shipping. :)

I’d keep the LW. It’s cheaper, lighter, easier to carry. Also, there are a lot of G10 options out there with different steel choices fir much less money.

The s110v is sweet no doubt. It may lack a premium feel but if thats ok with you i would stick with it. Seems like you have chosen well thus far. Prepare to spend ALOT of money. Good luck.

I’d keep both. I love my fluted cf native, I don’t think I’d ever sell it. It just has some class that the frn version lacks. Keep the LW for a beater.

If the difference of .35-ounces between the LW and fluted cf was the determining factor in how a knife carried for me I’d seriously have to consider a new exercise program.

Back