1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Native Chief w/Micarta Handles plz Sal

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by PeteyTwoPointOne, Nov 7, 2019.

1. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    any Spyderco steel is fine...that is all, Thank You :)

2. argyle1812

argyle1812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Agreeeeeeeeeeeed

ScooterG likes this.
  3. Enactive

Enactive

Nov 30, 2018
    Would be cool, but I think they would need to redesign to add liners to support micarta scales on that model. It's my understanding that unlined micarta is not dimensionally stable enough to use without liners and is not as rigid as G10.

4. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    The Shaman has nested liners.

5. Enactive

Enactive

Nov 30, 2018
    Yes, nested liners. The Chief is linerless G10.

6. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    I had a lil native in hand yesterday contemplating purchasing it, but it's too dang small. I think I'd grab a non s30 black G10 version of the chief.

I have the native 5 and Shaman, so it would be a cool addition. Maybe CF S90V would be a good sprint?

7. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    LOL ignore me, I thought I was in the shaman thread that's going on

8. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse

Apr 9, 2019
    No. No. No.

Sal, M390/20CV/204P or S90V please.

sharp_edge likes this.
  9. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    This^

Can't believe several posters agreed to the OP. Does it mean it's fine to have 8cr13mov on a Native Chief as lots of spyderco knives still use it?

10. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Yes , I 100% meant ANY Spyderco steel including GIN 1 & ATS-55 :rolleyes:

I consider the baseline steel for mainline Spyderco models to be s30v-- a true supersteel at it's inception...and still plenty good for my uses! :thumbsup:

But, I'll be sure to add more parameters to my next wish thread to save members from losing their minds.

But FWIW, I subscribe to the philosophy of "no bad steels, just different steels" :)

I've used most all of Spyderco's offerings and they all have upsides....and downsides...it just depends on where you want your sliding switches moved to in your mix.

eon blue apocalypse likes this.
  11. dogrunner

dogrunner Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 26, 2003
    But to get your wish you might have a better chance with a highly desirable steel :)

PeteyTwoPointOne likes this.
  12. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    It is OK to wish for whatever you wish. I believe it is also OK for members to express their opinions different from yours, which does not mean they are "losing their minds" unless once someone starts a thread, nobody should say anything different in it.

13. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I would be in for one. I don't think you would need liners to make it work out. Micarta is still pretty durable still from what I've seen.