'Native' pattern - show us yours

My one and only so far, a Sacha Thiel Birdy mid-tech. It's a great EDC esp. when paired with the Jon York clipped slip. Also have an Olexandr Vetrov custom in the works.
20190304_160416.jpg

Jason Taber's "Nato" blade is quite Lambsfoot-y in my opinion. I'm a big fan.

aWVavQy.jpg

- absolute crackers they are, stunning. Thanks for sharing, David :thumbsup:

John Lloyd calls this 4" pattern a "Dino." Not sure if it's like dino-saur (long i) or like dino the bambino (short i), but it's a great pattern!

CZmwhDG.jpg
- lovely one too, Jeff

I guess the Dino is a mini-Native.......? Would love to know the origin/reason - perhaps another from Jared Oeser..?

This is a great thread - I was unaware of this pattern. When did Jared Oeser invent the Native?

I also wonder if the Benchmade Proper drop point would count as a variation on the Native? I've always felt that Benchmade created something that feels like a modernized old traditional pattern, just based on a "traditional old pattern" that didn't actually exist. But maybe it's more like a cross between a Sodbuster and a Native.

Paul, how big is the Native? My Lloyd Dino is 4" closed, not what I think of as "mini."
Yep, good question, Jeff. I have Natives of varying sizes - the only Dino I have, and the ones I've handled, have all been like a small Native - so I was guessing.

Am not even sure of the Dino's origins - but, whatever, I like 'em all

Last edited:
Back