Native question...

I'm a relatively recent forumite here, so my apologies if this has been asked before.

After reading all the rave reviews of Spydies, I went ahead and ordered a plain edge, zytel handle Native. I noticed afterwards that it was a lockback. With the positioning of the lever on the handle, is this knife easily closed with one hand? ( I'm sure the spyderhole will make for great one-handed opening. ) Also, does anyone know of any websites featuring different methods of opening and closing folders, be they spyders or other, less worthy brands?
( And, yes, I do know how to use the search feature *insert graphical ubb smilie here*.)

On an unrelated note, I have been very impressed that Sal takes time out to answer as many questions as he does. Great for PR!

Bladeboy - Welcom to the Spyderco forum and thank you for the kind words.

sal

BB,

Definitely can close with one hand. Angle the blade forward and press on the lock. When the blade is disengaged, it's fold a little bit. Use your thumb and the hole to complete the closure. I'm sure there are other ways.

>>Also, does anyone know of any websites featuring different methods of opening and closing folders, be they spyders or other, less worthy brands? <<

Michael Janich in his book, "Street Steel", covers alot of different openings and closings with various folders. He is an editor at Paladin Press and his book is available there.

Welcome aboard,

sing

AKTI #A000356

>After reading all the rave reviews of >Spydies, I went ahead and ordered a plain >edge, zytel handle Native.

I also have been informed that this knife is backordered, and I noticed that it was backordered on the Spyderco site as well. Any time frames on how long they will be backordered Sal? ( I saw a post about the Militaries being backordered for three months, and the blades being ground, so they'd be out in "three weeks or so", and my heart fell into my lower abdominal cavity. )
I may just have to go ahead and buy it locally and eat the extra cost.

There is one forumite here, "David Rock" whose posts talk abt how to open spyderco knives using the "shake and flick" method.

You can "search" using his name.

However, this is easier done with the bigger models as you need a heavier blade.

I find that I can shake and flick my endura but not my delica, which I have to open using the "thumb" method.

Also be warned that some forunites feel that the shake and flick method may not be good for your knife, but I disagree with this, as the knives seem robust enough to cope with this.

Best wishes

Bladeboy - Natives are shipping every day. We're just behind on meeting demand. In an effort to be fair with our dealers, the "outlet" gets a quota each month.

sal

Here's how I close my Native, and some others I have: When I'm finished using my knife (I'm right handed) I slide the knife rearward in my hand keeping the edge pointed downward until my forefinger slides up to the rear edge of the blade that is unsharpened. Then with my thumb I depress the latch and flick the knife downward gently just enough to move the blade out of locking position. I then let up off the latch and turn the knife over in my hand and complete the closing with that same hand.
The reason for extending the forefinger up to the rearmost unsharpened part of the blade is to keep the blade from swinging all the way around and cutting you. This procedure is much easier to do than explain.
You're on your own!
Be safe!
Mike

Thanks to everyone who posted replies. I got my Native this week, and am working on breaking it in. Does anyone have suggestions for breaking in a new knife?

I figured out my own way to close it one handed, which also works for my the Delica that has joined the Native. I shift my hand downward on the handle until I can push the release in with my thumb. Index finger extends along the spine of the knife, and the tip goes into the hole. I push the release, and close with my index finger. It works pretty well. ( Watch fingers! My brother sliced himself good with my Delica when it first came. He opened it while I was at work, and got what he deserved.
biggrin.gif
Now he refers to it as "that evil thing". )

Back