Nature walk with my daughter.

kamagong

Gold Member
I'm a suburbanite through and through. I like backyards and manicured lawns and nice, comfortable houses. But I enjoy the outdoors and once in a while want to get out into the wide, open spaces. It's been hard to do so because of my young daughter. Outdoor activities and a 20-month-old don't exactly go hand-in-hand. But recently I made some time. I was at home recently when I noticed that my daughter absolutely squeal with delight when she saw Elmo on tv. Don't get me wrong, I think Sesame Street is great. I remember watching it myself when I was a kid. But I don't want my baby girl to be the type of kid who derives her pleasure from the tube. I want her to be the type of person who experiences the world firsthand, not through Sony. So I figured that it was time I introduced this youngster to Mother Nature.

Fortunately there is a good-sized regional park a few minutes away from my house. Nothing too spectacular, but there is lots of open space with trees, grassland, rolling hills and a few animals like lizards, squirrels, and even coyotes, rattlesnakes, and mountain lions. I loaded up the pack with a few essentials and was soon enjoying a leisurely walk.

My daughter really enjoyed herself. I think she really liked the different environment she found herself in, as she took her time taking everything in. She moved at a very relaxed pace, and seemingly checked everything out. Normally she's a hellion. Here's a few pics of the things that got her attention.

brionespark102611.jpg

brionespark10261113.jpg

brionespark10261115.jpg

brionespark1026112.jpg

brionespark1026116.jpg

brionespark10261112.jpg

Gratuitous knife shot
brionespark1026118.jpg

I learned a few things today.

1. It's wonderful watching a child experience things for the first time. She was fascinated with things that I barely notice. I'm not just talking about the obvious stuff like birds chirping. She noticed everything -- like lizards, and even spiders on the ground. She even stopped to listen to leaves rustle during a breeze.

2. There is no such thing as packing light when you have a little one in tow. Normally I'd have a few things like a knife, water, snack, and maybe a sweater. Now I have to make sure I bring enough water and food for me and my kid, as well as diapers warm clothes for her.

3. Even a two-hour hike is tiring when a kid is involved. I was proud of my daughter when were walking. She was a trooper, she walked and didn't whine at all. But she wanted to be carried on the way back. I was definitely feeling it by the time we got back to the car.

4. Those Finns are on to something. My normal nature walk knife, is a stag handled Blackjack. I decided to bring my Ahti Juhla instead. I'm not a big fan of puukkos because I prefer convex ground or flat ground blades, but toting this Ahti is effortless. I love how I don't have to remove the sheath from my belt when I'm in my car, I can simply position it out of the way. And the entire package (knife and sheath) weighs less than a Buck 110. It's definitely a keeper.

We had a great time. I can understand why so many of you guys spend so much of your time outdoors. Hopefully she continues to enjoy these types of activities, it's great father/daughter time.

Its great to get kids out into nature and more people should do it. Looks like you had a wonderful time
and I'm sure your daughter will want to go back. Thanks for the pic's !

Too cute !! Looks like she's got her snacks and just rolling along in the pic of her..

Enjoy every minute, they grow up fast !!

Too cute !! Looks like she's got her snacks and just rolling along in the pic of her..

Enjoy every minute, they grow up fast !!

Brother, you ain't kiddin'.

:thumbup:When my kids were that age I would put duct tape bracelets on their wrists with the sticky side out and then as we hiked I would let them put whatever flower,seed,stick, rock,leaf, bug etc on their "nature bracelet". When we got back to the house these were then stuck on the fridge for display much to the chagrin of mom. My kids are in their 20's now and still remember their "nature bracelets".--KV

Back