Navaja (esque) mods

I never had a chance to try the Spyderco Navaja. I personally like the idea of a modern knife with navaja shape and aesthetics. The Cold Steel Espada medium is closest to the size and and shape I want.

Then there is the option of modifying something else to the general navaja shape. I have ordered an Otter Rhino (Bowie) folder, the blade lenght is 95 mm so close to original Spyderco. The Otter looks like this:

38358_MRK1531-01.jpg

After the mods I have in mind it would look something like this.

7op7bqk.jpg

The Cold Steel medium Espada, after some alterations would look like this. I dislike the huge bolster and had in mind to cut it down.

gUlJAvD.png

So what do you think about these mods? Both blades are made of good steel (Bohler N690 in Otter).

20160421_072447.jpg

Posted two years ago:

I've been wanting big, traditional, 18h / 19h century-style Spanish navaja for some time. The versions I find online are usually poorly made or, if well made, more expensive than I can afford. The more I studied this style of knife, the more I realized that the so-called South African ratchet lock knives are in fact a European design going back to the 17h century. So Cold Steel's Eland knife, a copy of the Okapi, was my starting point.

First I bought one of these monsters online for $7.00 plus shipping. I used it in its stock form for about a week and was thrilled with how it performed. It's a great cutter, easy to carry in my back pocket next to my cell phone, and handles well with gloves or barehanded. The edge holds [almost] as long as an SAK and breaks down boxes, cuts twine, opens feed bags, cuts apples and carrots, and whittles wood [OK]. It's easy to clean up after a day in the barn and the back of the blade pops open a beer bottle perfectly. The lock is foolproof, never threatens to close, and is easy to operate, though it is two-handed.

Taking historical examples as my pattern, I clipped the blade farther down, eliminating the nail nick. Then I sanded off the logo etching on both sides of the blade, also removing the mirror finish. I threw some brown paint on the handle, giving it a less "Cold Steel plastic" look, though I expect this to wear off completely in a couple of months. At first I ditched the ring, thinking if it were an 18c knife it wouldn't have this and I wanted something early looking. The earliest ratchet lock navajas had a wide thumb lock like the Buck Marksman has today. The ring came later and the lever in the 19c. So I put a leather thong on there but found it difficult to get hold of if it slid down my pocket. Going modern, I added a titanium bead so I could fish it out of my pocket. It worked nicely but the leather threatened to break, I felt. Reading more and more I found historical examples of the ring appearing on the ratchet lock as early as the 1780s, so I decided to slip it back on. But I still need that leash hanging out the top of my back pocket, so I compromised and have the decidedly unhistorical leather and Ti bead on the ring. So sue me.

Finally, I got out the files and threw some file work on the blade spine. I first had a nice staggered pattern on there, but I got carried away and filled in the open spaces, which I think now is a bit too cluttered. There are plenty of historical examples, though, that have file work all down the blade, so while I'm less pleased by it than I was before I added more notches, it's not unusual.

So, traditional? Well, the blade profile and lock mechanism are. The handle is still space age plastic. The bead is space age metal. But for now, it's my $9.00 navaja made in China, modded in Colorado. I have three more on their way from the same retailer. I may mod them differently, maybe keep one stock, maybe gift them. Maybe make one for a BF giveaway. They're fun, functional, and cheap.

Zieg

Last edited:
20160421_072447.jpg

Posted two years ago:

I've been wanting big, traditional, 18h / 19h century-style Spanish navaja for some time. The versions I find online are usually poorly made or, if well made, more expensive than I can afford. The more I studied this style of knife, the more I realized that the so-called South African ratchet lock knives are in fact a European design going back to the 17h century. So Cold Steel's Eland knife, a copy of the Okapi, was my starting point.

First I bought one of these monsters online for $7.00 plus shipping. I used it in its stock form for about a week and was thrilled with how it performed. It's a great cutter, easy to carry in my back pocket next to my cell phone, and handles well with gloves or barehanded. The edge holds [almost] as long as an SAK and breaks down boxes, cuts twine, opens feed bags, cuts apples and carrots, and whittles wood [OK]. It's easy to clean up after a day in the barn and the back of the blade pops open a beer bottle perfectly. The lock is foolproof, never threatens to close, and is easy to operate, though it is two-handed.

Taking historical examples as my pattern, I clipped the blade farther down, eliminating the nail nick. Then I sanded off the logo etching on both sides of the blade, also removing the mirror finish. I threw some brown paint on the handle, giving it a less "Cold Steel plastic" look, though I expect this to wear off completely in a couple of months. At first I ditched the ring, thinking if it were an 18c knife it wouldn't have this and I wanted something early looking. The earliest ratchet lock navajas had a wide thumb lock like the Buck Marksman has today. The ring came later and the lever in the 19c. So I put a leather thong on there but found it difficult to get hold of if it slid down my pocket. Going modern, I added a titanium bead so I could fish it out of my pocket. It worked nicely but the leather threatened to break, I felt. Reading more and more I found historical examples of the ring appearing on the ratchet lock as early as the 1780s, so I decided to slip it back on. But I still need that leash hanging out the top of my back pocket, so I compromised and have the decidedly unhistorical leather and Ti bead on the ring. So sue me.

Finally, I got out the files and threw some file work on the blade spine. I first had a nice staggered pattern on there, but I got carried away and filled in the open spaces, which I think now is a bit too cluttered. There are plenty of historical examples, though, that have file work all down the blade, so while I'm less pleased by it than I was before I added more notches, it's not unusual.

So, traditional? Well, the blade profile and lock mechanism are. The handle is still space age plastic. The bead is space age metal. But for now, it's my $9.00 navaja made in China, modded in Colorado. I have three more on their way from the same retailer. I may mod them differently, maybe keep one stock, maybe gift them. Maybe make one for a BF giveaway. They're fun, functional, and cheap.

Zieg
I like that very much. I wonder if there is a same size okapi knife with wood handle available? I have seen a video about lock issues with the Eland, did you have any trouble with lock?

I like that very much. I wonder if there is a same size okapi knife with wood handle available? I have seen a video about lock issues with the Eland, did you have any trouble with lock?
No. No problems at all. That video you saw, if it's the same one I saw (where it opens too far, past parallel to the handle?), has a sample size of one. I've handled five of these CS knives now and they all hold up 100%.

I don't know whether Okapi has a ratchet locking knife the same size as the Eland. The Eland is a big beast. But I'll look out for them and let you know on your profile page if I find one. The search for a good traditional navaja that you want to use in real life isn't easy, so it's fun to try to make our own!

If the CS Kudu is still around (the Eland is impossible to find), you can still have fun making some mods like mine. You'll do better than I did, for sure!

Oh, keep your eye out for a post I'm going to make about a navaja exhibit I visited in Scarperia when I was there in October. Awesome knives of the 17 to 19 cent!

Zieg

Last edited:
No. No problems at all. That video you saw, if it's the same one I saw (where it opens too far, past parallel to the handle?), has a sample size of one. I've handled five of these CS knives now and they all hold up 100%.

I don't know whether Okapi has a ratchet locking knife the same size as the Eland. The Eland is a big beast. But I'll look out for them and let you know on your profile page if I find one. The search for a good traditional navaja that you want to use in real life isn't easy, so it's fun to try to make our own!

If the CS Kudu is still around (the Eland is impossible to find), you can still have fun making some mods like mine. You'll do better than I did, for sure!

Oh, keep your eye out for a post I'm going to make about a navaja exhibit I visited in Scarperia when I was there in October. Awesome knives of the 17 to 19 cent!

Zieg
Thank's for the answer. The Kudu I can find easily and it is more of the size I'm willing to carry, so that is an option. I could get the Okapi through chinese webshop, but I'm not willing to go that route yet. I am waiting still for the Otter, usually they ship earlier but now there seems to be a delay.

Your coming post seems very interesting, thank's for the info!

Damn. The Otter goes back to the shop. Looks like Otter knows how to make slip joints, but not nearly enough about liner locks.

I quess I'm back to beginning. I have to look at Cold Steel more closely.

Couple of new ideas. What do you think? G-10 is easy to grind with Dremel, blades are harder but can do.

fPLnuNB.jpg

YADK8BE.jpg

I was going to just say : Go Men Go ! ! !
Modding to get what you want; I like it ! ! !
Then I saw :
Damn . . . liner locks . . . I have to look at Cold Steel more closely.
Three of my highly modded work knives are all Cold Steel Liner locks. I used all three this last week.
I have had zero problem with them. No sticking at all and seem just fine always. I don't go around spine whacking my knives so I couldn't speak to that but I am totally happy with those and I'm pretty picky.

I was going to just say : Go Men Go ! ! !
Modding to get what you want; I like it ! ! !
Then I saw :

Three of my highly modded work knives are all Cold Steel Liner locks. I used all three this last week.
I have had zero problem with them. No sticking at all and seem just fine always. I don't go around spine whacking my knives so I couldn't speak to that but I am totally happy with those and I'm pretty picky.

I went to see and try in hand several CS knives. Bought the Talwar and this is the mod I'm going to do. Also polish the G-10 a bit with fine grit wet sandpaper. Wish me luck.

eemzvcl.jpg

Decided partly against the original plan. With the swedge on the back of the blade it would have looked stupid. This is where I am now. The spine will be dropped further just a bit. The point has been also dropped and the handle modified, plus the G-10 has been sanded smooth. I lost some millimeters from the lenght of the blade. I feel the grip is now even better than the original, with two choils I felt it was cramped and too limiting.

The wave does not work properly, so I might shorten the thumb disk. Also I have now rounded the disk and will round also the shorter version. Final product will look a bit like the bottom picture with the spine not lovered as radically.
2ZAJfIY.jpg

2Opvmld.jpg

hruMsEt.jpg

Last edited:
Also I will in time do a modification of Recon 1 spear point. With this knife I will not touch the blade shape, only the handle. Removing the DLC coating is almost impossible, so I might "age" it with sandpaper.

7Mq7YJP.jpg

Back