NAZAROV FORGE: Stork 2 Folding Knife - Elmax

Part 1

Disclaimer

This knife was sent to me for free in order to review. I have no prior affiliation with Nazarov Forge, and received this knife in response to an open invitation on Bladeforums.

ysDVhhj.jpg

Description

This is the Stork 2 folding knife in Elmax, from Nazarov Forge, Russia.

VBHA0Yl.jpg

Overall Length: 22.7cm - 8.94"

Blade Length: 10.2cm - 4.0"

Spine thickness: 2.12mm - 0.08"

Behind the primary edge bevel: 0.82mm - 0.03"

Weight: 140g - 4.9oz

[these measurements are my own, using my own fairly basic equipment: tape measure, digital caliper, digital scales]

The blade and bolsters are mirror polished, with a stabilised Karelian Birch handle, featuring a tendril design with what looks like poker work. It is a one handed opening, large folding knife. The blade is an elegant sabre grind drop point, coming to a formidable and well supported point. It is a liner lock, with pinned scales and full, unmilled liners. This is not a lightweight knife, but neither is it overly hefty.

wENjAsB.jpg

The blade grind is perfect to the naked eye and it came well sharpened with even bevels. A very few strokes on a loaded strop brought up the polished edge and then it shaved hairs. The craftsmanship is outstanding, with a very smooth action and tight, early lockup. No blade play, and beautiful fit and finish throughout.

kYlu5XS.jpg

In terms of design, the proportions of this knife have an illusory quality; when opened, the blade looks as if it might not quite fit into the handle, whereas the clearance from the tip of the blade to the butt of the scales, when folded, actually exceeds 2mm. It should be a joy to those who crave a 1:1 ratio on folding knives.

See below for side by side visual comparisons with a Benchmade 710, from which this blade is not far removed:

O9N5z77.jpg

The presentation side boasts a beautifully scalloped cut out, enabling gloved access to the liner lock, while also offering a comfortable grip for the index finger. Take note, this is a right handed knife. The thumb stud is right handed as is the scallop.

Certain internet nutcases would wail at the absence of gimping, but might be mollified by the scalloped finger guard, which provides positive traction with a firm grip in several positions. I applaud the absence of unnecessary gimping on this elegant blade. There is no doubt that the knife would be suitable for fighting, for those who think that is a good idea...

homer-simpson.jpeg

;) Only kidding. Sort of.

Moving on, I’ll be using this knife for a variety of tasks this weekend, other than stabbing people, and will update next week on overall performance. So far, this knife scores very highly indeed, and at roughly $200 it is a steal.

Oh, and if you were wondering why it is called a Stork, and still hadn't worked it out...

KmKekji.jpg

I send my humble thanks to Dmitry and all at Nazarov Forge, for the privilege of reviewing this beautiful piece of handmade work. I will certainly be a future customer.

Watch out for parts 2 and 3...

I forgot the pouch!

The Pouch

It's a soft leather pouch, as pictured, nicely made. No frills, very aesthetically pleasing. I like it.

And finally...

I was born into a different world, with the East and West set against each other, whatever anybody happened to think about it. It would have been unimaginable to obtain Russian goods here in England, just as Western goods only came to the East via diplomatic channels or the black market. Anybody remember the illicit joy of a Cuban cigar? Whatever the state of the world, it is a pleasing thing that an English knife enthusiast received a Russian knife to review, via a USA website - another thing that didn't exist when I was born. ;)

Life isn't all bad.

Very handsome blade. They certainly are nice to look at and the quality of their work is very good.

Part 2

I’ve been using this knife for several weeks now, and the edge has held up exactly as I would expect Elmax to perform: very well indeed. It has been used to prepare Guinea Fowl, breakdown boxes, chop veg, cut cord, rope, and anything else that has needed cutting.

All I have done is to strop occasionally and the edge pops back to shaving. It’s an extremely comfortable knife to use, and I now have an intuitive feel for the balance and reach. I take a large glove size, for what that’s worth.

Next I will be taking it outdoors, which has been delayed by weather conditions in North Wales. I really can’t fault this knife for the price, or at all. It would certainly be more than adequate for any camp cooking that I would do:

yF6WJP4.jpg

Back