Necessary Attributes for Tactical Folder

A folder should feel so strong as to inspire confidence that it wont fail when you need it. Grippy handle, I like G10, and a shape that locks into your hand for a secure grip. I also like big folders with the biggest possible/legal blade I can get away with. I have large hands so big knives always feel better than small ones. As long as your not wearing skin tight pants I think you can get used to the largest folders clipped in you front pocket. I'm carrying a Strider AR everyday and have no comfort issues with it. It's the only folder I've owned that feels as strong as a fixed blade. Also like the Spyderco Keating Chinook & Emerson Commander. All these blades have wide cross sections that seem to compensate for the relatively short length.

MO

A good tac-folder needs to be:

1. Well made
2. Of quality materials
3. Come sharp and capable of being made sharper easily
4. Possess a properly fitted front, rear, or liner locking system
5. Blade design congruent to CQB applications
6. Light
7. Comfortable in either the forward or reverse grip
8. Can be carried securely, drawn swiftly, replaced safely
9. Of a size and weight that encourages daily carry
10. Of fair price and easily replaceable if lost, left, or taken

Anything else is nice but not necessary.

It depends on what you mean. Tactical folders can be 1) tactical knives than fold or 2) the market term for semi-switchblades (AKA a manual automatic knife:) ). I have seen many tac folders that were NOT tactical.

The market term "tactical folders" are also called "clip knives" in some circles (I prefer that term but...) and has three qualifying characteristics.
1) It must a locking type folder
2) Have one hand opening capability
3) Have a pocket/ carry clip

There are knives marketed as tactical folders that have only two of the above, but that is just laziness on the part of certain marketing dorks (did say dork? I‘m sorry, I meant penis:) )

Many of the features our fellow forumites suggest are not needed in a tactical folder, but are needed in a GOOD knife. For example:

1- A comfortable, secure handle;
2 - Reliable locking mechanism;
3- Blade built robustly

A tactical folder can be without #1, but will be a BAD KNIFE.
A tactical folder can be without #2, but will be a BAD FOLDER (unless it is suppose to be a slip-joint)
A tactical folder can be without a tempered blade that will bend like a wet noodle, but then it will be a PIECE OF $***!

As far a “tactical knife” is concerned; I have found three possible definitions of “tactical” as it relates to knives.
1) Euphemism for Combat Knife. Many people do not understand that combat knives are working knives that can be used for fighting. Instead, they are seen as murder weapons. So if we call them combat knives they will be made illegal. Can also be read as Self-Defense Only combat knife.
2) Euphemism for Always Ready. A knife that is readily available. Read: quick access. This is particularly important with folders. Once I lent my knife to a co-worker who then “lost” it. He later found it at the bottom of his pocket. I then told him that the reason for the clip is so you can put it ON TOP of one’s pocket. The clip also helps keep the knife where one last put it. No very applicable to fixed blades unless it has a quick draw sheath. But that would be a tactical sheath for a combat knife:D Loosely interpreted, tactical can be any knife you have with you. (Making it a useless adjective)
3) Any knife that can save a life. (My apologies to Mr. Randall) Be it building a shelter in the jungle, cutting someone from a seatbelt, of fending off a mugger. Since I can cut myself out of a jammed seatbelt with a paring knife, again it is a useless adjective.

Rant mode off. Hell, I never meant to turn it on, but I got BITTER somehow.

Back