Neck knife for EDC comparison

This isn't what I'd call a comparison based on specific testing. Not at all. Just my thoughts having used the 4 knives I'm going to mention. First of all, each is a good knife with it's own pro's and con's. One is a Carter Cutlery neck knife with a 3-3/8" blade (handle to tip). Then a Spyderco Dragonfly (only folder0 that I made a kydex sheath for neck carry. Then a ESEE Izula-II with a blade length of 3-1/4". Finally a Cold Steel skinner. Blade length 3-3/8".

While I'd be happy with the functionality of all these knives for what I use an EDC knife for the Carter is head and shoulders above the others. I know, it's a lot more expensive. But, after having and using it for 4 or 5 years I don't think about it's cost compared to other knives. I only think about it's (and the others) performance.

Over the years I've become somewhat of a steel junkie. I can't put up with a knife that won't hold an edge. While the Cold Steel skinner has it's uses the AUS-8 steel just won't hold an edge to the others. The Carter has a white steel core. If you aren't familiar with Carter Cutlery knives check them out. The Spyderco dragonfly has the super blue blade steel. The ESEE has 1090 carbon. AUS-8 isn't bad, it just isn't comparable to the better steels available today. The skinner is a good knife and cost me about $25. I do want to throw in that Cold Steel is now, and has been for a few years I think been using much better steels in some of their models. About 3 years ago I had a mini AK-47 that had a problem. It had AUS-8 blade steel as did 99% of their knives when I got that knife. They replaced it and since it was a tool box knife all I noticed was it was a bit thinner. The handle I mean. Of course it came sharp. But when I re-sharpened it I was amazed how easy it was to sharpen to a SUPER sharp edge. Then it stayed sharp much longer than I expected. I was extremely surprised and happy with it. Then one day I looked at Cold Steel's site and saw they were using CTS-XHP blade steel on a lot of their knives. Another much better steel also on other models as well. Cold Steel IMO has made very tough folders. Add better blade steels to that and IMO you have a completely different knife. I got off the subject. Sorry.

So the Carter knife is my favorite of the 4. The next would be the Spyderco D'fly. It's a very nice and durable little folder capable of most EDC task. Even the more robust needs. Plus, after closing it I can put it in the sheath without worrying about poking myself. :)

Take care knife people,
Jack

I have a Carter blade similar to yours. I always wanted to try Hitachi white and it didn't disappoint. It didn't quite hold up to some of my knives in high vanadium alloys while cutting cardboard, but it stayed much closer in performance than I thought it would. I really love the ergonomics also, I would have to put Carter right up there with Dozier as the best ergos on any knife I've held.

They are expensive, but you only cry once...

Back