Neck Knives - Any comments/recommendations?

OK, OK!! You convinced me! The next batch of Handiman knives will be made available with some kind of multi carry sheath. Yes, it will probably cost a little extra. To comment on one post regarding weight, I have the tang of the handiman abrasive waterjet cut, allowing me to have a skeletonized handle much lighter than if I just drilled it full of holes. Knife and sheath for 3 oz!

Thanks for the input,

RJ

I finally made a decision - I decided to indulge my preference for shiny blades and leather sheaths, so I ordered a Kevin Wilkins Thorn neck knife with both of those features.

That knife and the RJ Martin Kozuka are the ones that really said "Buy me, buy me now!", but I just couldn't justify spending the big bucks for a Kozuka, at least not until I'm convinced that I'm a neck knife person. I also decided I should get something very thin and light, i.e. as comfortable and unobtrusive as possible.

Thank you all for the helpful comments, pointers, and recommendations. Until I posted, I really had no idea there were so many cool neck knife designs on the market.

-Brett

------------------
brett@rahul.net
www.rahul.net/brett

You've gotten some great recommendations, RJ Martins, Kuzoka and mini-Kuzoka are really cool. I've got a Fred Perrin Long La Griffe and it's all it's cracked up to be (I don't leave home without it) If you like Bud Nealy's stuff take a look at Ed Chavar and Kurt Meerdink....ex-apprentices of Nealy's and they've got some really nice stuff too!

------------------
JerryO

Brett's knife went out per airmail, registered German Post this morning (Sat. 30 Jan.). I hope he has it in about 7-10 days and will post his impressions here once he gets the knife.

------------------
www.wilkins-knives.com

Does anybody have any experiences on the RJ Martin's Combat Neck Knife? I was wondering, how strong and versatile to use for "common chores" it would be. If I had one, I wouldn't try to force doors open with it or anything, but it's always a good thing if a knife is strong.

Jani

Joni,

Please feel free to use RJ's knife to pry open doors, windows, etc. It can take that kind of punishment, no problem!

------------------
Les Robertson
Robertson's Custom Cutlery
http://www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com/rcc/makers.shtml
It is easier to get things done with a kind word and a knife, than with a kind word alone!

I received my Kevin Wilkins Thorn neck knife today. I would have gotten it sooner but I accidentally gave Kevin the wrong shipping address, and it took the post office a few extra days to get the package to me.

Anyway, the knife is beautiful. It arrived very sharp, which is always a good sign. I got both leather and kydex sheaths (I wanted leather, but Kevin had already made a kydex sheath, so he gave me both), and I definitely prefer the leather. It sits very flat, holds the knife securely, and is comfortable to wear. The sheath is well constructed from heavy leather. It will probably take me a couple days to become entirely used to the extra weight of the knife around my neck, so I'm glad I didn't get one of the heavier neck knives I saw during my search.

Kevin ships the knife with a plastic spring-loaded cord adjuster on the neck cord. In addition to its obvious function to let you adjust the knife's carry position, this adjuster also acts as a release if the cord is pulled hard. So I think it nicely eliminates most of the strangulation risk.

The knife itself if made from a fairly thick piece of stainless CPM 420V steel. Despite being a small knife, the thickness gives it a very solid feel in my hand. All grind lines are very smooth and even, and the edges of the handle have been comfortably rounded.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. Kevin was great to do business with, and I recommend him highly.

Hope this review doesn't sound suspiciously glowing - I'm just really happy with my first custom knife purchase.

The knife itself is (D) on:

http://www.wilkins-knives.com/Trn_1.html

-Brett

------------------
brett@rahul.net
www.rahul.net/brett

I purchased my 1st neck knife through Les Robertson. It is an R. J. Martin Mini Kozuka with a custom Mahagony lined carbon fiber sheath. The knife is held securely in place with rare earth magnets. Anyone looking for a small, but very useable neck knife could do no better in my oponion. R. J. Martin (www.martinsite.com) makes beautiful knives which are wickedly sharp & well made. The mahagony lined sheath holds oil to protect the steel blade & offers fluid, silent draw. As far as the post about nylon neck cords...be careful!! A chain will break (like it is supposed to) which will save your life if someone tries to strangle you with it or it gets hung up on something.

I totally agree with Drew about having a break-away neck cord or chain, especially for soldiers. I can't even imagine how many times I've seen troops hung up by their web gear or a snagged BDU blouse. You can't afford a non-breakable neck knife cord in a tactical situation! I won't let my troops carry a neck knife if it is so securely fastened as to be a hazard--same with ID tags (dog tags). We usually pull the seven strands from 550 paracord and work a standard ID tag chain up the sheath, leaving the chain clasp exposed. This is less dangerous.

Two comments regarding my experiences with neck knives:

1. I've never had a problem with a cord catching on anything, but I still prefer a ball-chain, just in case.

2. I much prefer a coated blade. Anything that spends a lot of time in contact with a sweaty chest will rust, unless it's so stainless it won't cut.

If I routinely wore a neck knife next to my skin especially in summer, I would treat the knife with Tuf-Cloth or Marine Tuf-Cloth. Sentry Solutions has done demos with a coated knife submerged in an aquarium for months without any corrosion. The SEALs also use it when they do water operations.

Axel

Back