necks knifes

giphy.gif

I'm not makin a fukin neck knife
:thumbsup:

i only use neck knives kayaking and tubeing,but not comfortable.I tried a ss spyderco police clipped in my board shorts for a 3 hour float down river and i liked it better than any necker,much more comfortable.I'm in sw Florida floating with the gators and a knife gives me a great scence of false security.So Lorien make me a water folder than fits in a mini kydex for neck carry,a blade like the BM Adamas folder,and as thin as the spydierco police

Only an idiot would be strangled by a neck knife- there are many ways, including simple slip knots and twenty cent plastic connectors, to make a break away carry strap. That is just not a valid objection.

<--- I'm that idiot lol.

I did a 30 second conversion on a Mora sheath a couple years ago to take kayaking. First and only time I carried a knife like that, I hated the hell out of it. Different strokes for different folks.

AisYJX8.jpg

I love neck knives, and especially in very cold weather on outside of parka.

There are other carry options for the neck knife, including on the belt and stuffed in a pocket, longer carry strap for over the shoulder hip carry, and on belt and down sleeve with longer cord.

You can also wear it around your belly with a proper cord. Seriously, the convenience of a small, fixed blade in the woods cannot be exaggerated and just cuz some Canadian guy on the internet refers to the pattern as a neck knife doesn’t mean you have to wear around your neck.

Is this where the NANK is born? Open your minds and hearts to the NANK, and wear it how you please. If there are 51 genders, then there are at least 52 ways to wear or carry the NANK.

But....... it has to have a quick release safety snap, or, even better two cords, long and short each with safety snap and can be used single or together for 52 gender neutral carry mehods, and 17 gender specific methods.

Must have easy break cord connectors of some kind or should not be sold.

I use the cheap snap connectors on my Mora Eldris and it works great.

The pukko is by Saku Honkilahti and he simply uses some glue to connect the wood piece to the leather cord, the leather cord is already cut, so with some pressure the leather cord comes free of wood.

L to R, homemade knife and sheath with Lauri 42mm carbon blade and masur birch handle, Mora Eldris, Saku Honkilati custom, Mora Classic No. 1 with homemade sheath cover.
E77934EA-1A45-4AE3-8669-3C97CE06B86A.jpeg

Last edited:
there are a few oft repeated characteristics required for a good neck knife, so that's baked in.

Here are some takeaways so far for me from your comments;

-pocket carry is an important option to incorporate into the design
-there are two schools of thought wrt intended use; defensive and utilitarian
-the utilitarian approach to neck carry describes boating and backpacking as the main activities that benefit
-the defensive approach to neck carry describes a last ditch option, since access during concealed carry is limited
-concealed carry severely limits access while open carry provides very easy access

keep em coming

And Most importantly neck knives are :poop:

Now bike knives :) now we are talking

I wear a neck knife daily. Little ring knife. I don't remember it is there most times.

VeaCeVK.jpg

The little Cold steel is a neck knife, as is the SAK, (which goes in a neck sheath).

OlHDrW8.jpg

I find it to be an easy to carry. But let's be real......

I never have just one knife on me.

The Kwaiken gets "neck" carried around the house sometimes.

I have one set up that could "strangle" me. The SAK sheath is made with paracord, and no easy break. It is always under the shirt. I've never had it hang up, but if it did, I might have trouble.

The other ring neck knife and CS neck knife are carried on a ball chain. The connector on those is only rated to like 20 or 30 lbs, or so.

Last edited:
there are a few oft repeated characteristics required for a good neck knife, so that's baked in.

Here are some takeaways so far for me from your comments;

-pocket carry is an important option to incorporate into the design
-there are two schools of thought wrt intended use; defensive and utilitarian
-the utilitarian approach to neck carry describes boating and backpacking as the main activities that benefit
-the defensive approach to neck carry describes a last ditch option, since access during concealed carry is limited
-concealed carry severely limits access while open carry provides very easy access

keep em coming

I have a bunch of small knives that are marketed as neck knives. But I like them for pocket carry. I don't like anything dangling from my neck - nothing is comfortable and everything is a nuisance (gets in the way). But it needs sufficient handle for secure grip - none of these half handles or even rings, needs to be lightweight, needs sufficient blade length for edc purposes. So a light and thin edc.

The closest I have to a neck knife is the White River Backpacker (with paracord).
Lightweight and flat. Cord has a connector for safety.
It’s in a drawer somewhere.
These days, if I reach for a smaller fixed blade, it’s generally for my EDC2. And I don’t carry it around my neck...

TBH, I've never tried a neck knife before. Even when kayaking, I tend to wear a hydro pack, which makes it easy to put a small, light folder on the shoulder strap.

Even when running, I have small, very light folders that I don't even notice when they're clipped to my shorts.

That said, I do love knives, and I'm not opposed to a good neck knife.

Personally, to be worth considering, it would need the following criteria:
- lightweight
- flattish profile. I wouldn't want to wear something around my neck with a bulky/roundish handle, like a Mora. It needs to lay fairly flat.
- single-edged blade. MI and some other locales have silly laws about double edged daggers.
- as rust resistant as possible, as it's going to be around sweat
- friction sheath that has a good hold, but only needs a strong yank to draw it. I really like the molded snap-in sheaths on my CPKs (Mashed Cat?). Positive retention so the knife isn't going to fall out even if the wearer is doing cartwheels and backflips, but no snaps, buttons or other fiddly things to mess with.

*** edited to add*** I could never trust a purely friction-hold sheath to reliably hold a razor sharp implement hanging inverted against my body. I've seen mall Ninja neck knives with those and it makes my neck hair stand up

Last edited:
Love them! The wife and I do a lot of ultralight backpacking where low weight is paramount. We usually bring a CRKT Folts Minimalist. I recently picked up the Mora Eldris but haven't taken it into the field yet.

Back