Need a deployment knife.

I have recently enlisted in the military and am looking for a nice fixed blade that could with stand some abuse out and about but also looks nice, is light weight, and holds a good edge.

SO what im looking for:
-light weight
-looks nice
-withstand the harshness of overseas
-made of high grade steel
-fixed blade
-can be used on a boot or belt

I'm not really concerned about money as I have plenty to use as i have been saving up. I have spent almost 500 on one knife before. SO yeah money isn't really a concern.

Thanks for all the help!

-JC

I've recommended this as a deployment knife numerous times on BF, and am happy to recommend it again:
Ontario OKC3S Marine bayonet
ON6504.jpg

It gets tricky to make reccomendations. But Spartan Knives are a popular option.

Without knowing the size and design features you are seeking its difficult to list specific models. As you may run into issues with personal gear while deployed, the ESEEs (mentioned) won't break the bank and don't hurt too bad if "lost".

I'd say the esee 3 over the 4 cuz it comes with a tek lok (belt carry) and a clip (boot carry). In addition te sheath is an injected molded plastic. Almost as tough as kydex but more light weight. Again the 3 has the same handle as the 4 but only a slightly shorter ant thinner blade. Tough as nails still but saving weight and being more compact. Would offer plenty of utility and defensive capibilities for you. I'd call it ideal and a around 100 bucks you can't beat it.

I've carried a KABAR USMC on a few trips and it's served me well but if I get orders to deploy again I'll most likely have a ZT 0121 on my MOLLE. If you want something larger a ZT 0170 would be nice. Keep in mind you won't really use a larger fixed blade very often: Primary "cutting tools" for most folks is the blade on their Leatherman and/or a decent folder. I'd get a strap cutter and leave on your gear as well: Hope to God you never need it but it's one of those things you will wish you had if you take casualties.

Watch Your Six Brother

You need to seriously re-think what you are looking for. You don't want a $500 knife; it will get stolen. You don't want a belt or boot knife; you can't get to either of those when you need it in a hurry. You don't want some big, honking, fixed blade; cause that's weight you'll have to haul around and never use. (And it brands you as an ignorant Rambo wannabe.)

You want a plain blade, no serrations, 3"-4" blade with a MOLLE sheath (preferably a soft one). No plastic that makes noise, no fancy colors. If it's a folder make sure it opens with one hand. No pcket clips that hang up on stuff and either hang you up or loose your knife. Something you can sharpen right now, not something that takes time to work (you don't have enough time to maintain everything you need to when you're deployed.)

Then when you're all done finding this, take $25 and go buy an old time pocket knife with 2 or 3 small blades. I guarentee you'll use it more than you will the bigger knife. And if you need to do first aid you'll find small sharp blades work a hell of a lot better when you're trying to save someones life.

Ignore me if you want, but I've done 4 trips over in various parts of the world and have 30 years experience in uniform. I've seen a lot of new guys; don't make the same mistakes most of them will.

Cold Steel SRK in VG1 or Benchmade CSK. Both around 150 max. I would, and have, the SRK for the better sheath and far better steel. My first love is the Benchmade Nimravus. Around 120. Built like a rock.

You may as well just buy whatever you think looks cool since most people will ignore any and all advice and do exactly that.

Buy something useful outside of military ops that can still so the job you need (which you need to define for yourself).

Then factor in that your chain of command may not let you wear a knife on your kit, and may limit your wearing of fixed blades at all. It happens.

I carried a Busse Active Duty.

Any of the swamp rat or scrap yard knives are great and durable. Also the hogue knives EX-F01 looks pretty good, and it comes in 2 different lengths.

a $500 knife; it will get stolen. You want a plain blade, no serrations, 3"-4" blade with a MOLLE sheath (preferably a soft one). No plastic that makes noise, no fancy colors.
If it's a folder make sure it opens with one hand. No pcket clips that hang up on stuff and either hang you up or loose your knife. Something you can sharpen right now, not something that takes time to work (you don't have enough time to maintain everything you need to when you're deployed.)

Then when you're all done finding this, take $25 and go buy an old time pocket knife with 2 or 3 small blades. I guarentee you'll use it more than you will the bigger knife. And if you need to do first aid you'll find small sharp blades work a hell of a lot better when you're trying to save someones life.
30 years experience in uniform. I've seen a lot of new guys; don't make the same mistakes most of them will.

Sir, your experience speaks for itself. Thank you for your many yrs of service.
sonny

Busse Combat, Team Gemini, or any Busse fixed blade you like the looks of. Also, Swamprat and Scrap Yard knives (both sub family companies of Busse).

Forever warranty on all of them, against unintentional breakage forever (warranty follows the knife, no receipt necessary even if you are the 100th owner. As long as you don't cut it in half with a torch).

You need to seriously re-think what you are looking for. You don't want a $500 knife; it will get stolen. You don't want a belt or boot knife; you can't get to either of those when you need it in a hurry. You don't want some big, honking, fixed blade; cause that's weight you'll have to haul around and never use. (And it brands you as an ignorant Rambo wannabe.)

You want a plain blade, no serrations, 3"-4" blade with a MOLLE sheath (preferably a soft one). No plastic that makes noise, no fancy colors. If it's a folder make sure it opens with one hand. No pcket clips that hang up on stuff and either hang you up or loose your knife. Something you can sharpen right now, not something that takes time to work (you don't have enough time to maintain everything you need to when you're deployed.)

Im posting this AGAIN, because it's the best advice you'll get. EXPENSIVE knives will grow legs, and you'll just be out. Instead of the old-time pocket knife, I recommend a multi-tool though. They can be really handy, you can keep the small blade sharp and you'll probably use it way more then a fixed blade.

I'm a Hinderer and Busse(kin) guy. But if you read the posts by a few above you will begin to understand why I posted my earlier posts. You asked a question, but it poses many question. Some you may not have answers for at this point.

You may be restricted on items you can carry. And things do go missing. I suggest buying relative value over "best knife". By relative value, I basically mean that you should only consider good quality knives that you can afford to lose and easily replace.

Thank you so much for the quick response on my thread guys. You have given me a lot of advice. I didn't mention it but i will be going USMC Infantry, i will be leaving for basic hopefully in February. I just need an idea and i want to do a lot of back ground on the different types, metal differences, uses, etc.

-JC

P.S. Please continue by all means. And thank you to those of you that served. Semper Fi

I'm a Hinderer and Busse(kin) guy. But if you read the posts by a few above you will begin to understand why I posted my earlier posts. You asked a question, but it poses many question. Some you may not have answers for at this point.

You may be restricted on items you can carry. And things do go missing. I suggest buying relative value over "best knife". By relative value, I basically mean that you should only consider good quality knives that you can afford to lose and easily replace.

yeah i didn't really think about possibly losing it so i don't want to go to big on cost. And i already do have a pretty nice swiss army multitool that i always carry.

How about a Becker tweener
BK 15, BK 16, BK 17 all compact and does not break the bank ( somewhere around US$70)

22 years Reserves, Infantry, deployed as an MP.

Big knives aren't a good choice unless your MOS allows it. Most wind up in the bottom of the duffel bag. There is a very specific reason the older, experienced users suggest something smaller and more utilitarian. You Don't Need A Big Knife.

The three most common knives carried daily are a 4" folder, a multitool, and a Swiss Army knife. The bigger knife is simply for reassurance, but it gets used. The multitool has pliers and screwdrivers, which can be used a lot in urban situations. The SAK usually has scissors and tweezers which get used a lot in personal care.

More than that, supervisors may tend to confiscate.

PS. Other than one or two hours in bayonet training, there is no course in combat fighting with knives at Basic. You might likely get more training in combat self defense with the entrenching tool. Why is there no emphasis on it? Because, it doesn't happen in combat. It happens in bar fights, and Command doesn't need those kind of headaches.

Get a one handed folder that won't break the bank plus the multitool you already have. Oh and don't bring them to boot camp.

Good luck.

Edit: On second thought just go to the px after boot camp and SOI, they've got plenty of spyderco benchmade kershaw and leatherman options and they're tax free.

There will in fact be some knife technique training besides bayonets within the Martial Arts program. Still not a whole lot unless you decide to advance your belt level.
Are you going to MCRD San Diego or Parris Island?

Last edited:
Back