Need a Field knife

I am new to this area Knives in general and am looking for a good wilderness knife i do small hikes and camping. I have come to several choices after reading several post. 1) KaBar Marine (Short or Long?) 2) KaBar Warthog 3) Cold Steel SRK. any and all comments would be welcome. Also any other ideas. would like to spend no more than $60.

Thanks,
Colt

Good choices.

Others to consider are:

Camillus (the first contractor for the WWII KA-BAR.)
Ontario's Spec-Plus line (models very similar Camillus and Ka-Bar. Any GREAT price/performance, IMHO)
Marbles (though I don't own any.)

There are plenty of other good makers out there, with a full range of prices.

Sounds like you prefer high carbon to stainless?

Mike

Of the choices you put out there I would go with either the COld Steel ranger, or a Kabar Marine Utility (large) I would look at the new stainless version if you are going to be in a wet environment.

If stainless steel is not an issue, how about 2 Kabars, they both should jsut about fit in your budget, get both the large and 3/4 version and you would have a decent combination that would do just about anythign you wanted a knife to do.

------------------
Lee

LIfe is too important to be taken seriously. Oscar Wilde

The CS SRK is a very good choice for the money, and the Ka-Bar is a great choice too. I've owned several of both models and really liked them.

I prefer the SRK. If you are more on the stingy side, nothing beats one of the Ontario/Spec-plus knives (e.g., quartermaster).

Good choices for your fixed blade, but dont forget to get a good SAK (swiss army knife). Any of the mid size models from Vitorianox or Wenger will work well.

You might also want to take a look at the Buck Model 119 (Special). Its a proven solid design, comes with a decent leather sheath, and available anywhere for under $40. IMHO the handle is more comfortable and stronger than some of the other knives you are considering. Blade steal is basic (no frills) but durable and serviceable.

I'd actually like to offer the Spec-Plus line again. I've used them, and they're very easy to resharpen in the field. One of the mid-sized models would fit your budged easily. And the handles are comfortable too.

Matt

------------------
Waxes Eloquent, Leader of the Terrible Ironic Horde and Sarcastic Brain Spewer

Well doesn't western also put out some really nice fixed blades too? I have one that I had to re-handel (leather) and it is a nice knife where as I could beat the crap out of it and it will still carry a good edge.

Back