Need a hunter/skinner. Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner?

Hey Gang,

I'm looking at picking up a Benchmade Fixed blade.

Either the Steep Country: http://www.benchmade.com/fixedbladeknives/steep-country-family.html

or

Saddle Mountain Skinner: http://www.benchmade.com/saddle-mountain-skinner-family.html

I'm leaning more towards the Saddle Mountain.

Has anyone handled these blades? Does your pointer finger reach the jimping on the saddle mountain tip easily? This is the main reason why I want these blades.
Is anyone familiar with the qualities of Dymondwood vs G10?

It will be carried into the bush and used as both a skinning/meat prep and general do it all blade.

Any input on these blades would be greatly appreciated.

I much prefer the look of the Dymondwood and leather sheath however I think the G10 and Kydex model would be a more functional option.
I believe the G10 is likely to be a little more impervious to water etc.

Thanks guys!

Joel

I have the Steep mountain only. It's a pretty small knife with a short handle. I think the saddle mountain would be a better meat prep and general knife just because of it's slightly larger size and more real estate on the handle. Dealing with meat , food , and weather I myself would no doubt get the G-10 as it's impervious to almost any fluids.

The Steep mountain sheath has zero retention once the strap button comes undone. Saddle mountain with a different sheath would be my choice , although the factory kydex will work alright.

Awesome Thanks a Ton for your response Hiwa!

Definitely leaning towards the Saddle Mountain in G10!

I bought a saddle for my boss after I broke the tip off her cheap fixed blade. I really liked the feel in hand. (Almost didn't give it to her :D ) She uses it a bunch and loves it. Has even been chopping wood with it.

Went with G10 as well over the dywood for the same reasons. Sweet little knife. I think you'll love it.

Last edited:
Hey Deer,

Chopping wood with it! Thats awesome! Does it handle the task Ok?
I'd love something that could hold up to that as well for sure!

Yeah the Dymondwood looks a lot better to me and I think the leather sheath is nicer. But the G10 should last forever and the Kydex can be flushed out with water if it gets gnarly.

Back