Need a new flashlight!

Hello guys, it’s time for me to get a nice, good quality flashlight and I need the input from some knowledgeable people. I’ll be using it at an upcoming trip in Asia, and as a general flashlight for camping and hiking, so it needs to be tough, light and durable. Maximum price is ~60$. Battery time is a big issue, so is light output, so I was thinking to get something with diodes, perhaps an Inova T2. Your opinion is greatly appreciated!

You generally either get battery time or output, not both.

That being said the streamlight twin task is decent. It's both xenon and led. It doesn neither great but is acceptable. When you need some throw, switch to the incandescent, when you need battery life, use the LED.

The inova isn't a bad choice either.

The Inova T series are indeed fine lights, but there's a possible problem if it's your choice. The batteries are CR123A cells, which are very expensive unless you buy them bulk online, and more importantly, might not be readily available in the far ends of the world.

I would also reccomend sticking with an LED light over an incandescent for fear of a bulb burning out (or the filament breaking from a drop or hard knock). A high output bulb for something like a Streamlight might be hard to find where you're going. If you do go with an incandescent, buy a few extra bulbs and bring them with you.

In which case, I would reccomend something that uses easily found AA or AAA batteries. My two reccomendations would be the ProPolymer Luxeon 4AA or a Fenix L2P.

I’ve raved about it before, but the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon is a great flashlight and it sounds like it would meet your needs.

It’s bright, with a pretty good beam shape and some throw. Runtime is good for the amount of light it puts out and it uses AA batteries. It has a comfortable grip and a nice clicky switch.

I’ve totally abused my Streamlight Jr. Luxeon and it seems to be nearly bomb proof. There’s no bulb that could break and it’s very well constructed overall.

Thanks for the input!

victory - I have already considered the Streamlight Twin Task, but I rejected it, mainly for subjective reasons. I have seen a few low quality knockoffs, and that impression, well, lasted...

Planterz - very valid point about the battery, I wouldn't have known. That Streamlight looks like an excelent lamp, but I feel a slight aversion towards lamps with a polymer body, again for subjective reasons. On the other hand, the Fenix looks just about right. Thanks again!

I like the Twin Task. Use it for hunting. When walking to stand in the morning dark hours, the LED (slightly covered) makes for an inconspicuous walk. If dark has fallen in the evening and I want to see what's rustling out there in the leaves before I climb down (always a squirrel or a raccoon), I'll flip to the incandescent.

Sort of a "jack of two trades, master of none" light. I don't like that you have to cycle through the two modes. Would prefer two separate switches. Still, it' a good light that offers you two types of bulbs/lighting.

while a twin task is "ok" i like the inova T series a lot lot better, the twin task incandescent isnt very bright, and the LED isnt too great either, while the T series all work pretty well and are plenty bright, the twin tasks imho arent bright enough for tactical use.

I would get one of the Fenix flashlights. If you are going to be oversees finding the correct batteries could be an issue. Fenix flashlights use regular AA so you could avoid this. My Fenix L1P has been part of my EDC since Christmas. I have been very happy.

Another option is the streamlight tasklight. I don't own one but supposedly it's a similar idea to the twin task (looks identical), but it utilizes a single luxeon 3 that is driven at 2 different outputs instead of a half-assed incandescent and led's. The L3 at it's peak output throws a lot more light than the Twin task incandescent.

If you go with a LED light, CR123's won't be a problem as you can buy rechargable ones. The rechargables will blow out an incandescent, but LED's by their very nature are regulated.

12 surefire CR123's cost $15. That's comparable with any AA or AAA battery. Just buy a couple dozen before you leave and maybe a pelican microcase to keep it in with spare bulbs.

The fenix marc suggested is also a great light, comparable to the Inova T2, but it runs on standard or rechargable AA batteries. The only issue is that the battery life is only about an hour and a half.

Ive just bought the new model Nite palm4.
Its great, I have two of the originals & this seems tougher still. Powered from 1 9v battery has 4 modes:-

1. Locator which has dull glow so you can find the torch
2. Low beam
3. High beam
4. SOS Strobe which actually flashes . . . - - - . . . SOS

Very impressive, has pocket clip has strong magnet & is very compact, only cost me £14.00 (what, about $25.00?)

victory said:
12 surefire CR123's cost $15. That's comparable with any AA or AAA battery. Just buy a couple dozen before you leave and maybe a pelican microcase to keep it in with spare bulbs.
$21 now; they raised their prices a couple weeks ago. Batterystation and amondotech still have them for $1.25 apiece (less if you're a CPF member).

Maximus has the right idea here; a head light is much more useful in a hiking and camping situation. Tactical lights are great for tactical tasks, but when repairing gear in a cramped tent, climbing your way to a strange bathroom, or puzzling over a map, you want the head light.

I have used petzl LED's often, and they are great. I am using a Black Diamond Ion LED right now, and it's my all time favorite head lamp. Small, bright enough, and it uses a common battery.

Also, headlamps aren't going to generate much "investigate and confiscate" attention from various border/custom/security screeners.

Have fun,
Jeff

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I have decided to go with a Petzl-type headlamp (they're widely available in outdoor stores) and the Fenix LP2 suggested by Planterz - it will be a bit tricky to get though.

Planterz said:
$21 now; they raised their prices a couple weeks ago. Batterystation and amondotech still have them for $1.25 apiece (less if you're a CPF member).

I still get surefires for $15/dozen. The reason surefire raised their websight prices is so they wouldn't compete with their distributors.

Krav Dragon said:
Hello guys, it’s time for me to get a nice, good quality flashlight and I need the input from some knowledgeable people.

It depends on how much light you need. I would get a led with at least one batter and eight bulbs in it. The led flashlight batterys last 8 times longer. You can consider if you want a three battery flash light with up to 32 bulbs in it. Depending on how much light you want. They put out a lot of light, but they are bigger, and take up more space when you travel. I think they have a range of up to one mile.

Another vote for the Fenix L2P, it puts the Streamlight Stinger Jr. to shame.

victory said:
I still get surefires for $15/dozen. The reason surefire raised their websight prices is so they wouldn't compete with their distributors.

Cool, where at?

Look into the ledlenser, german made nice led flashlights. I got a david 19 last week, very bright light in the short distance, you can't focus, so by greater distance you loose the lightintensity. But on a AA battery you get 12 hours, check it out! (Mine looks well build, well engineered, lightweight)

www.zweibrueder.com

Victory,
You never said where you get surefires for 15 dollars. The rest of us would like to know.
Thanks,
Mike

Back