Off Topic Need a Side by Side. Any recommendations?

Garth Reckner

Got a chance to see Leonardo's new John Deere side by side last night and I feel like I need one. The John Deere looked great but I know there are tons of different options out there. What do you guys recommend? Any experience, opinions, or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Everyone,
Garth

I bought my Polaris Ranger 800 new back in 2014 and it's been excellent for me.

I've been out of it for a while but traditionally the JD's have been made by someone else, at least in their consumer grade models not sure who it is now but they have always been good. May be easier to find out what it is and research that. I had a Bombardier two seater quad that was what JD rebranded in the 2000-2010 era and it was bulletproof.

We had a Gen 1 Yamaha Viking and it was great and my neighbor has a 2018 Kawasaki Teryx that has been good to him. When my little one got old enough I sold the Viking and went back to an ATV so I could get her one too and we could ride together. Looking at off-road Go Karts now.

Unless you get really serious I would avoid the higher end CanAm and Polaris models. They are amazing and fast but those SHO motors need a lot of maintenance and they really do a number on the other components.

If you want something a little more "dad" we just listed a factory tricked out 2020 Yamaha Golf Cart on Facebook Marketplace.. seats 4 with a top speed of 24 MPH :) Free delivery to Wauseon!

LOL I was all ready to do my shotgun endorsement! No personal experience but know a group of guys who ride frequently and they all love Polaris. However, they do trails and jumps and such. No farm vehicle stuff for sure.

Polaris or go home. Been in the game too long. I love my crew 1000 with EPS. Prices are stupid with Covid. I could sell my used one for more than I paid for it new.

Slower work horse - Yamaha Mule Diesel or Gas

Awesome all around with speed Polaris Ranger

You could get a CanAm if you want to look like a teenager who spent his dads money 6 months after a divorce.

vsswbfM.jpg

Would be more for hunting/utility. More worried about getting in and out of tough places than I am about getting there fast. If I want speed I have a car for that.

Garth

Would be more for hunting/utility. More worried about getting in and out of tough places than I am about getting there fast. If I want speed I have a car for that.

Garth
I am not a brand snob but as mentioned above, I have a Ranger, and my dad has had 5 over the last 18 years or so (currently has 2). In 4WD and low range - I've never gotten anything close to stuck in any of them. Almost boringly easy to move through rough and steep terrain. I'm sure most of the options out there in that class would perform similarly.

I have a snow plow on mine that is raised via winch, which gives me the added benefit of having that winch when the plow is off. But I've only ever used it to pull trees and logs and stuff.

Excellent machines. Lots of great options out there.

As to the Polaris brand in general, the only issues I've ever had was with a two stroke quad 20-some years ago, and a little kids 50cc that I have today (but like all manufacturers, Polaris doesn't actually make that youth machine and it's of a lower quality for sure). Besides that, all the quads and rangers my family and I have had have been solid. And I'm talking like 20 units over the years.

Have had many a good hour on Yamaha Rhino. An oldie but a goodie. Loved the dump bed option for transporting/dumping firewood, rocks, dirt, etc. Loved finding a good sunset spot to park and enjoy the end of the day. I have no hands on experience with electric utvs to recommend anything but for wildlife viewing/ hunting I would seriously consider keeping it stealthy quiet. Yes I enjoy having some log pulling power and creek crossing confidence. But given the choice I'd trade power for stealth because I'm half out there to see the animals in the woods when I'm simply riding about and with an electric utv you have a much better chance of sneaking up on wildlife unexpectedly. There may be an electric Polaris ranger option out there. Consider as well some of the beefier off road golf cart designs. They've come a long way it seems and don't hit the wallet nearly as hard.

Really look at your seating requirements. My crew says it seats 6. That’s more like 4 adults and two children. Some like the Honda and Yamaha have the bed fold into the back seat. That’s a no go for me. Then look at the HP ratings and the bed weight ratings. I can carry 1000 lbs of corn in the bed of mine. Mine also has 3 driving modes work, standard and performance. Then there is power wheel drive, 2WD and 4WD

For work I’d recommend one of these. It’s a robust machine, had a great warrant, and much less expensive that a Polaris Ranger. The bed can be extended and converted to a two seater.

That said, most of my friends around here use Rangers for hunting and play. They have much more power and off road capabilities.

Due to looniness the pandemic has created, prices are high and machines relatively scarce.
02E82071-794D-42BB-B53C-FBF13E0D1854.jpeg02E82071-794D-42BB-B53C-FBF13E0D1854.jpeg59366D56-D865-4696-BF1C-48FCC7AD78CB.jpeg
Also, make sure to do a inspection of the machine. Dealers are selling so many of these machines they are not always assembled properly.
02E82071-794D-42BB-B53C-FBF13E0D1854.jpeg59366D56-D865-4696-BF1C-48FCC7AD78CB.jpeg02E82071-794D-42BB-B53C-FBF13E0D1854.jpeg

For work I’d recommend one of these. It’s a robust machine, had a great warrant, and much less expensive that a Polaris Ranger. The bed can be extended and converted to a two seater.

That said, most of my friends around here use Rangers for hunting and play. They have much more power and off road capabilities.

Due to looniness the pandemic has created, prices are high and machines relatively scarce.

Also, make sure to do a inspection of the machine. Dealers are selling so many of these machines they are not always assembled properly.

55DC443A-3447-43C9-B104-2DF10FAC39C8.jpeg

Last edited:
Back