1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Need advice on a hunting knife

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Auglaize117, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Auglaize117

Auglaize117 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Well last year I used my spyderco pm2 in s110v. It worked fine, but I don't have any good fixed blades and wanted to see what all of you with more experience like/use. I know my folders, but very very green in the world of fixed blade. I'm getting tons of good recommendations and I appreciate all of them!

2. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    And I wish I had never sold mine. I do enjoy my customs, but that was a great knife.

Auglaize117 likes this.
  3. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    For deer hunting, I hung up my Schrade Sharpfinger and accumulated a Bark River Loveless Drop Point Classic and a BRK Bob Cat Hunter and even a Buck Vanguard along the way. Out of those three, I can not tell you which one I like the best. You might think me strange, but it is hard for me not to pick the Buck Vanguard. I kid you not. I have a friend out in Idaho that dresses out and processes all his Elk and White Tail with just a Buck Vanguard and he won't have anything else and believe me when I say he ain't hurting for money either.

Auglaize117 and Grateful like this.
  4. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Those sound like good choices to me. The Sharpfinger? Uh.... not so much (hearing screams of rage from the peanut gallery).

Auglaize117 and Ripcord 82 like this.
  5. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Have a look at A G Russell's website. They have many versions that may be of interest to you.

Auglaize117 likes this.
  6. Auglaize117

Dec 6, 2018
    I ended up getting an LT Wright next gen in d2 and ordered a custom drop point in Elmax from Golik. Thanks everyone for the help!

jmh33, Mingecutter, Camillus and 2 others like this.
  7. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Please, pics when you get 'em!

8. Auglaize117

Dec 6, 2018
    Will do!

9. chuck4570

chuck4570 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Buck 118

10. ddavis

ddavis

Jan 17, 2018
    Nice choices! I went through the same process a few months back, looking for a deer and hog knife in a high end stainless. I ended up with a BRKT Gunny Hunter LT in elmax, but looked real hard at the LT Wrights as well. Please post pics of the Golik when you get it!

11. Auglaize117

Dec 6, 2018
    OK, it's been a little bit and I don't have all the knives, but pics were requested so here are the knives I ended up getting. I ended up buying 4 knives. An LT Wright next gen in d2, a fiddleback forge bush finger in A2, a Golik 2/3 Sabre grind hunter, and a Golik edc. I'm sure my wife is going to kill me, but I'm sure most of us have that problem ;)

Attached Files:

12. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    Russell Green River 4215 has been hard to beat for actual hunting uses. It has been in production longer than just about anything else in America for good reason. Takes a great edge, lasts a long time, you don't feel too bad if you lose it in the field. It just works.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:24 PM
  13. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    They will all work, but the Golik sabre hunter should be the nuts!

NWPilgrim likes this.
  14. Auglaize117

Dec 6, 2018
    I agree, that's the custom I got. It was in NY on Saturday and it needs to hurry the hell up and get here!!

neal70 likes this.
  15. neal70

neal70 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Little late, but a big second on Dozier, people talk about breaking down 3 elk and not needing to touch it up; Tom Krein makes amazing hunting knives as well, done some skeletonized versions lately for minimalist hunting/backpacking.
    Thanks, Neal

16. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    What, no Sharpfinger ?:)

17. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I am really liking that Golick edc with the wood handle. Please post your thoughts on it when it arrives.