need advice on long distance bus travel!!

SkinnyJoe

BANNED
Will be most likely going to Phoenix, AZ from Clarksville, TN by Greyhound at the beginning of March.

What are some things to keep in mind, supplies to take, that sort of thing?

Thanks. :):)

You need to make sure there are "facilities" on the bus! If not, don't drink beer before you go! (Voice of experience here).

It will be unpleasant :D. I took a bus from NY to SC that took 24 hours. By the end I was fried and ready to kill someone. Have fun!

Usual stuff. Take a good, thick, large print (easier to read while moving) paperback (or two), MPEG player and plenty of batteries unless you want to hear some old lady talk about her 15 grandkids. If no MPEG player, seriously consider taking some foam earplugs. Seems like I always ended sitting next to some loudmouth on the bus.

If you are taking a knife, be mindful of the various knife laws of the states you will be passing thru. Ya never know when Mr. Police will show up. No sense causing yourself unnecessary problems.

Keep a water bottle with ya and fill it when ya can. Gum helps too.

Careful what ya eat. A lot of junk food might result in more frequent bathroom trips. Never a good thing on a bus.

Take a few basic medicines. Aspirin (or similar), tums, pepto tablets maybe.

Take a few snacks (granola bars, etc) but be careful on loading up on too much stuff.

Take an isle seat if you can. Get and move around every once in awhile. Even if its a few steps.

Last edited:
Hand sanitizer and some sort of air freshener, preferably just the pump kind rather than a pressure can. I like the bergamot one they sell at Trader Joes, perfect for confined spaces.

How about one of those butt pillows. If you are skinny joe, you would have a bony butt, and a pillow would provide cush for your tush. If you have a spitter cup, bring sunflower seeds in the shell. I can pass the time away just snackin on that bird food all day. Besides, it might irritate other patrons and then they will leave you alone. A good book will help as well. Check AZ weather and prep your wardrobe accordingly. Chap stick for the dry weather. May God give you traveling mercies my friend.
CJ

I think I would rather set my own head on fire than travel more than 20 minutes on a bus.

Can you take the train?

I traveled around a fair chunk of America on Amtrak once and had a great time.

Second the train. Much better.
For the bus...take a can of Lysol or equivalent. Hose down everything you touch, including(especially) the seat you're going to sit in. Maybe take a towel to sit on.
I've only made a couple of trips by bus, and came away with a few funny stories, and a few gross ones. Handicapped people, fat lady...I guess the bathroom at the back was just too far.
Especially the seat...

When I was in my twenties, I took exactly one trip on a bus. After that single experience, I started hitch hiking. Not only was hitching MUCH faster, I also felt considerably more safe. Today, I'd still hitch hike rather than take a bus.

How about one of those butt pillows. If you are skinny joe, you would have a bony butt, and a pillow would provide cush for your tush. If you have a spitter cup, bring sunflower seeds in the shell. I can pass the time away just snackin on that bird food all day. Besides, it might irritate other patrons and then they will leave you alone. A good book will help as well. Check AZ weather and prep your wardrobe accordingly. Chap stick for the dry weather. May God give you traveling mercies my friend.
CJ

I live in phoenix and i second the chap stick. it's a lifesaver

Remember to change your socks every day. Be prepared to meet some "interesting" people.

If I was you I would take a sudoku (spelling?) puzzle book or cross word book to work on when I got bored. Also a portable DVD player, or a good magazine or two will help you keep your sanity.
The longest bus trip I have taken is one from south west VA, all the way to Williamsburg and two days later all the way back to SW VA.

Take an inflatable pillow, preferably one of those that go around your neck to support your head when sleeping.

I just hated the bus and loved the train. If you have to take the bus get it over as fast as you can. good luck

All good advice. :thumbup:

I am also wondering if I am maybe better off driving? Having a car over there does give a lot of flexibility. However, it's a 97 Civic with 165k on it. Safe to attempt? Would a rental car be astronomically expensive given the mileage?

P.S. I am thinking about swinging by Minnesota on the way back (not kidding).

Thanks.

If I was you I would take a sudoku (spelling?) puzzle book or cross word book to work on when I got bored.

Excellent advice. I like to blow up Sudokus on the copier machine and put them on a clipboard.

Love your signature line, my favorite line in that movie. BTW, I thought it was Marcus Aurelius? I must be thinking of a different emperor.

I travel back and forth from Taiwan to the UK at least twice a year so that means long flights.

I always take my psp with a few games, games like "Worms", "Tenchu" and "splinter cell" can take up a fair bit of time with out getting too boring.
Ear plugs are handy, the head phones that go into your ear work as sort of ear plugs too and also have music if you want :p
Spare batteries for said hardwear are also worth taking along.
Reading books is also a good way to consume time.
Water is always good but dont hammer it back or you will be visiting the toilet all day. Same goes for beers.
Sookie sweets or a sack of gums are also good.

Actually talking to the person next to you can be good as well,
I have met some really good folks on long flights but you can also get lumbered with a person you really cant be bothered with.

:thumbup:

Excellent advice. I like to blow up Sudokus on the copier machine and put them on a clipboard.

Love your signature line, my favorite line in that movie. BTW, I thought it was Marcus Aurelius? I must be thinking of a different emperor.
Yeah, it is Marcus Aurelius. Russel Crowe is famous for many things, precise diction is no one of them!

All good advice. :thumbup:

However, it's a 97 Civic with 165k on it. Safe to attempt?

It would certainly be safer than taking the bus! Have a mechanic check out the car. If he says it's good, then take the car. 165k on a Civic is no big deal.

Back