1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Need advice on my first axe or hatchet

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by minimalist, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Get a Tajima G-Saw 240 and an import hatchet from the hardware store - $50 total. The saw will be your wood getter and any little hatchet will serve fine for stripping bark and splitting small firewood. Spend the savings on a 10" or 12" double cut file to keep the hatchet sharp.

2. minimalist

minimalist

Jul 3, 2013
    So can anyone recommend some decent boys axes? Does Husqvarna make a good boys axe? I'm looking at one now that looks like a good size.

3. Hacked

Hacked

Jun 1, 2010
    Personally I would go with a boys axe from council tools if not doing a restore of an old axe. Husqvarna doesn't produce axes, they contract them out. I believe hults bruk produces their current line.

4. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012

Sounds right to me.

And even though Husqy doesn't make their own axes they are pretty decent value for a good axe.