Need advise about bandsaws?

i'm kind of starting up but the hacksaw is taking longer than plan. i looking for a bandsaw. i'm on a budget of space and cash. i'm wondering what you guys use in your shop when starting up?

I bought the one from HarborFreight when it was on special for $140 and free shipping. That was over a year ago and I have been very happy with it.

Marcel

I also have one from Harbor Freight that I bought about four years ago and I've used it, abused it and it still works fine. I did make a new table for it, the one that came on it had an oversize place behind the blade that small pieces could fall through and jam the blade. Works fine now. I don't think you can beat it for the price. If it fell apart tomorrow I'd just order another one.
Tom

I have a grizzle and use it everyday. Throw away the blade and buy a Lennox bimetal, K&G has them. dlee;)

They ain't pretty but they'll bring a smile to yer face after all that hacksawing. Bimetal is definitely the way to go...

Wow, I am glad that I stumbled across this thread. This is a big help.
Since I am here, can anyone recommend or not recommend 1/2HP Grizzley or Harbor frieght Drill Presses?

I believe both are made in China. I would buy the one with free freight. I have a Jet and it is ok. dlee

My little made-in-China bandsaw has been cutting up steel, a whole lot of steel, for over 12 years now and only needs the occassional curse or two to keep it going. You definitely need bimetal blades though, and be sure to break them in on mild steel for about 5+ minutes before you start sawing stainless. That will burnish the points a little and reduce the liklihood of breaking off teeth.

edited for spelling...... :)

Jerry,
Thanks so much for the tip on bandsaw blades.
I am ordering my bandsaw and drillpress today.
:)
-A friend of Sue Ching.

Back