Need an AFCK update

I'm considering a little... project
smile.gif

It's been a long time since I saw a brand-new AFCK, and I know that their construction has changed some. I need some info from folks who own the latest versions:

1) Is the pivot still hex or is it Torx? What size?

2) Clip screws are now Torx, right? what size?

3) Do the body screws still go through the spacer and into the opposite scale, or do they come from both sides into the spacer?

4) What is the spacer made of? If the screws tap into it, how are they held?

5) What size and type are the body screws?

6) Is Benchmade using any nasty glue or locktite that makes disassembling the knife risk damage to its parts? If so, how?

Muahahahaha!

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

Im pretty sure that all the screws are torx now, and I doubt that Benchmade would use something so strong as to cause damage if one dissasembled the knife.

Just my 20 cents (have to accout for inflation)
wink.gif

Say does anyone out there know if there is anyone that can supply hex screws to replace the torx, i think they look better and are easier to adjust.

------------------
One with the Force you must be...

WISH NOT TO BE A JEDI!!
NO PENSION YOU SAY!!

Hmph! a Jedi desires not these things.

The hex size for a flathead screw that size is very small and strips easily. I prefer to use hex cap-head screws, which use a larger driver, if redoing the handles. To keep the same handles, try flat-head phillips screws, with slotted for the pivot and locking pin screws. That way the knife can be easily disassembled with a leatherman, and the slotted screws show their position easily, so you can tell if they are loosening by themselves.

A good source for screws and just about anything else is Small Parts Inc. in Florida:
www.smallparts.com

------------------

-Corduroy

In that case i guess i'll just keep the torx. It was mostly for aesthetic purposes anyways
smile.gif

I just received a used AFCK recently and i must say i love this knife.Im not sure of its age but cannot find a flaw with it.I e-mailed Benchmade after loosing one of the pocket clip screws and they sent me 10 of them! within a week.I think they are hex but its hard to tell there so small.
smile.gif

------------------

All the BM body and clip screws that I've seen are #2x56 machine thread screws. Pivot screws are #8x32 machine. Any good hardware store should have a selection of them. Available lengths may not match the original screws so get the next longer and trim to fit. I can strip down most of my BM's with an LM Micra.

Chi

Corduroy, on my new M2 AFCK;

1) Torx, size T15

2) Torx, size T6

3-5) Body screws are also Torx T6, flat heads. They appear to be be screwed into the spacers from both sides. The spacer appears to be stainless steel, of what grade I do not know.

For further details, you will have to buy one and void the warranty yourself
wink.gif

------------------
James

[This message has been edited by stjames (edited 02 June 1999).]

Thanks very much, "Mr. Ames"
wink.gif

That's the info I needed. I'll be voiding that warranty shortly - won't be the first. Then maybe I'll let you fellows see what I'm cooking up... hehehe.

------------------

-Corduroy

Roy, keep us posted. You have definitely piqued my interest. Also let us know what you find inside of the AFCK.

I forgot to give proper credit to the esteemed G2, the creator of the above sheath. Thanks again, Gary, great work.

------------------
James

Back