Need car advice

Here's my dilema. I got an '03 Civic, earlier this year, for the Mrs. to replace her worn out '65 Plymouth. Now I'm dying to replace my '65 VW Baja Bug but I can't afford two car payments. So I'm torn between fixing up the bug or selling it for a couple of grand and getting a used car that I can buy outright.

Here's the "pro" list on the Baja: motor has less than 20k on the clock and the front end suspension is less than 3yrs old. It's a short list, but those are the biggies.

The "con" list is longer, but they're mostly smaller things: needs all new window rubber, new locks, bondo and paint, could use discs brakes up front and a fibreglass front + lap belts = death trap (okay, the death trap thing is a biggie).

The cars I've been looking at, that I could buy outright, are 16-20 yr old Toyotas and Hondas with 150-220k or 5-7 yr old Hyundais and Kias with under 100k.

What would you do? Gamble on a Kia Sportage? Gamble on a Toyota truck that's been driven halfway around the world? Or spend another year under the Bug with a wrench in hand? Help, I'm torn.

Frank

A Honda or Toyota at that price won't be too exciting, but its got a real good chance of being reliable. For me, I'd get a Toyota Camry or Tercel with a four cylinder engine and standard transmission. I got a Tercel for 1,300 bucks, drove it for over a year. I put a new alternator in it. Then I gave it to my Mom, and she's been driving it for 2 years. She put a new radiator in it. Eats a little oil, but starts and stops every time.

But if you actually like the Bug, and know how to work on it, at least you know what you've got and aren't "gambling" that you are going to get a bad car. It also sounds more fun than an old Toyota. I can't even change my own oil, so I go with the reliability factor. YMMV

That's a toughie. If it helps, I heard that kias are the big thing where they are made. They typically sell for a lot more compared to what they sell for here because they are building themselves into the market. I hear they are great cars, but i have no first hand experience. If it were me, and i really mean if it were me and my needs, then i'd sell the moneypit deathtrap and get a used pick up. They are easy to fix, parts are everywhere, good utility, and cheap to insure. The civic/pick up set up is what my wife and I have right now. She uses her '02 Civic to go to work and back and we drive that anytime we travel or go out and about. I drive my truck to and from work and we use that for any big items we need to haul home. I drive an old '86 Chevy Scotsdale. It's been fixed up and is a company truck, but it works. I love that old thing...it just hates the cold.
Good luck Frank!

Jake

I don't know what you should do. I'm sorry. I hear good things about Kia too.

munk

My wife and I just sold our Chevy S-10 and got a Kia Spectra 5. She loves it, I think it's OK. I miss my truck though :(

(I'd do the Honda thing)

I think I would have to send the Bug on it's merry way. If you wanted to keep it as a toy, just to fix up and take out playin' once in awhile, that's one thing, but as a daily driver....I can't help but to be skeptical. From what very little I've ever learned about VW's bugs they're great or they're awful, and not much in between. Toyotas, Hyundais, and Kias are all a pretty safe bet these days, and I hate to say it because alot of us like classy older things, but technology has come a very long ways with vehicles. I don't know that I'd be as concerned with the quantity of miles on said vehicle as opposed to whose been putting said miles on it. I'd rather have a commuter with a couple hundred thousand than a kids car with fifty thousand.

Back