Need help dating an issue.

Feller's,
What year did homosexuality go from being a mental disease/disorder to being the status quo? I was thinking mid to late '70's.
Doug

The issue in defining homosexuality as a mental illness or not is about insurance coverage. Large numbers of people go to psychiatrists asking to be "cured" of their homosexual desires. During periods when the psychiatrist's association officially defines homosexuality as an illness they can bill insurance companies for treating those people, and some of them pay. During periods when they don't, they can't. I believe it's currently a mental illness again -- was the last I heard.

The idea of defining the desire to want to be cured of your sexual desires, in whatever form they happen to take, as a mental illness doesn't seem to have occurred to anyone.

Thanks guys and thanks for the link Bob.:)
Probably shouldn't have used the phrase "status quo",but it sure seems like it when you turn on the TV any time of the day.:barf:

but it sure seems like it when you turn on the TV any time of the day.
...usually as a cheap gimmic to supliment the uninspired writing on today's tired and boring television shows.

-Bob

leatherbird said:
Probably shouldn't have used the phrase "status quo",but it sure seems like it when you turn on the TV any time of the day.:barf:

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

"Well then, don't do that!"

Your mistake is in turning on your TV set. Just don't do that.

I've actually heard of and met people who say they were 'trained' to be right-handed in school. Usually older people. Makes it difficult on the rifle range because many of them are left eye dominant, but want to shoot right handed as they've been 'trained'. Simplest solution, have them close their dominant left eye.

-Bob

Brought this thread back up as there seem to be a lot of "alternative" lifestyle threads currently going on.:eek: :D

More and more scientific studies especially some very interesting brain studies show that homosexuality is something that a person is born with. It is not a learned behaviour and certainly not a 'choice' . BTW for those who haven't figured it out yet those brain studies show that brain function of men and women is different and that of homosexuals different again !!!

More and more scientific studies especially some very interesting brain studies show that homosexuality is something that a person is born with.
A genetic link has also been shown, by studying identical twin girls who were seperated at birth. Same genetics, different environments. If one twin was lesbian, the other had a 50% chance of also being lesbian, much higher than the standard 10% chance.

Beats me why you guys are fascinated by this stuff...

-Bob

mete said:
More and more scientific studies especially some very interesting brain studies show that homosexuality is something that a person is born with. It is not a learned behaviour and certainly not a 'choice' . BTW for those who haven't figured it out yet those brain studies show that brain function of men and women is different and that of homosexuals different again !!!

But I wonder if they don't cause their brains to be wired differently by their very actions and thoughts.

For all they try to claim, medical science does not really know that much about the brain, or spine.

^^^
Hmmmm, no.

Homosexuality was removed from the DSM-II in December, 1972 (although some sources say 1973).

Whoah, my brain just threw me for a loop right now. I thought the thread read "Need help with a dating issue" and then I'm reading about homosexuality. Took me a few seconds to straighten it out.

Back