Need help designing a processing room for Deer.

Hindsight

So I have decided that I am done hauling deer meat from my shop to my house. I have decided that I am gonna build a room dedicated to butchering. I made this decision after skinning deer #28 for the year and the season still has about two weeks left. I am hoping to get a good grinder, sausage stuffer, smoker and slicer. I want to see what other people have for there processing. I have to admit that unless I get something to make my life easier I am gonna have to start charging people more. lol

I would also like to see what knives you guys use. I will get a few pics up of my processing knives when I get a chance.

Here is the gang that usually joins me for the fun.

IMG_20120113_185833.jpg

28 deer!?!?

Can't help you, but you might want to reach out to ken44. He doesn't post here much lately, but he is/was a butcher and a hunter, and might have some good suggestions.

That's a lot of deer. I generally only field dress and skin 6-8 a year since the great state of Texas has ridiculously small limits on deer (despite the overpopulation in many counties). Meaner street seems just about right, but used the CABS plenty this year. They both easily shave arm hair... a bit of stropping brings them back to razor sharp.

I'll be interested in what you develop for processing space. A smokehouse is one thing that I'd love build and learn how to use. There's nothing like good smoked meat... and beer. :D

Our county has a limit of 4. Unfortunately I have a lot of family and friends that are also hunters. I made the mistake of letting them know that I butcher my own deer. I got tired of paying the outrageous price the local butchers wanted. I was spending anywhere from $200- $350 a deer. I have not tried a CABS. I might have to look into that. :thumbup:

I would do stainless tables / counters ..

Large sink with pressure sprayer, concrete floors with drains,

hooks / pulleys on the ceiling with hoist / winch at part of it,

Band saw/meat saw,

sharp / good knife set,

The best set-up I have seen, the guy built a metal building and had 3 different area's. One area consisted of a small walk in cooler to age the meat. The second area had a bandsaw, tables, grinder, sink's and large freezer. The 3rd area was a simple smokehouse. I don't know how much it all cost and I guess, that would be the biggest consideration for you. I do all my own processing of Deer and Hog's. I age them in a icechest. I will then cut the meat up in thin slices for frying. Anything not fit for slicing get's grinded into hamburger. I then wrap it in freezer paper and lable the content's. I would like to have the bandsaw but have never made the investment. I don't process for other's, just myself so it's hard to justify the cost for just me.

I would do stainless tables / counters ..

Large sink with pressure sprayer, concrete floors with drains,

hooks / pulleys on the ceiling with hoist / winch at part of it,

Band saw/meat saw,

sharp / good knife set,

I am working on getting all of that stuff. I already have the ceiling hoist, was doing it all by hand. A 250lb deer is hard to pull straight up. I am starting to be able to justify the cost after a few years of doing it. I started out charging about $20 bucks an hour. Back then it took about 3 hrs per deer. If I take my time, I can be done in just over an hour now. I just never let anyone know that I got a lot faster. :rolleyes:

I do it all in my garage except smoking. Haven't built a smoker yet. I put an ss top on a large deepfreeze and thats my processing bench. I also put quality casters on it to bring it up to the right height. I then built an over head paper/freezer bag/string dispenser and a knife holder. My grinder, slicer and vacuum packer are all portable enough to move around easily. I bought a 120v winch and the gambrel goes on it. the deboning is all done while the deer is hanging. My opinion on bandsaws are that they have no place in the shop while butchering only deer. If you're doing pork or beef than sure but I find that deer processed bone-in is much gamier tasting.

The winch I bought last year has a 3000lb capacity. Go big or go home right.

I have never tried to leave the bone in on a deer. I actually learned how to butcher from a youtube video. LOL
Having a smoker will be a new experience for me. I will actually be able to make snack sticks and summer sausage.

I have to admit that unless I get something to make my life easier I am gonna have to start charging people more. lol

Yeah, see that's not gonna work for me. You better figure something out before next deer season.

Garth

As a butcher before I was promoted to plucking chickens, I would suggest used commercial equipment over what you can find at the hunting supply store. A cuber and a grinder would be my first 2 purchases. Good suggestions from these guys about a good floor drainage system and a room that can be hosed down. Lots of cool stuff here http://www.butcher-packer.com/. Hobart is based in Troy,OH and would be a great source of service and equipment. http://www.hobartcorp.com/

Our county has a limit of 4. Unfortunately I have a lot of family and friends that are also hunters. I made the mistake of letting them know that I butcher my own deer. I got tired of paying the outrageous price the local butchers wanted. I was spending anywhere from $200- $350 a deer. I have not tried a CABS. I might have to look into that. :thumbup:

Drive down here and see me. They only charge $70 and skin it for you if you want. Summer Sausage is extra.

I think you may be watching Dexter too much my friend.

Be afraid Jerry!!!!!!

Back