Need help on Project/Mountaineer

MickeyMouse

Gold Member
I want to buy a fix blade knife from Chris Reeve but (unfortunately) have to make a decision which one. I'm thinking about a Mountaineer II since I'll use it just for camping trips ect. (I'm not a member of any special forces or seal team
wink.gif
) but I'm not sure if the blade is really long enough. So my second option is the project I or II but I don't like the sheet that comes with it and it's also pretty heavy. I'm just not sure if I really need the extra 2 inch.
Does anyone who owns a Mountaineer has any 'problems' with the blade length?

MickeyMouse: Welcome to the Forums. I have a P1 and a Shadow IV so maybe my experiences can help. When backpacking and do not have the luxury of an axe and every once counts, I take the P1. You can get a sheath from Normark (On Scene Tactical) and you will not be sorry. I still carry a folder for the delicate stuff.

When I have no real reason to chop anything with a knife I bring the Shadow IV as the shorter length is a bit more handy. I still carry a folder for delicate stuff.

The sheath on the P1 was, in part, designed so that the knife can be drwn silently, without a snap to unsnap. The supplied sheath is fine, but I still picked up a sheath from Eric at On-Scene. The P1 can do everything afield that needs to be done though it's not my first choice for game chores or fine cutting. Food prep, while not it's strong point is accomplished with the P1 or SIV and a folder with the CR knives chopping up potatoes, lettuce, opening cans and what not like nobody's business. The clip point of the P2 may be better for some cutting chores but I like spear points in a general purpose firld knife.

You can dig with these knives, chop branches, prepare food and eat with these knives. Mt preference is for the P1, but when I am with my son'e scout troop of other sheeple sensitve environs, I scrap the extra 2 inches that aren't needed when camping out of a vehcicle and bring the SIV.

Hope I haven't thoroughly confused you. Either one will be fine, but even light chopping with the Shadow IV will make you wish you got the P1.

Happy Hunting!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited 02-18-2001).]

Mickey
The Mtn1 is great size, handle fills a large hand, good grip, blade is ideal length for most outdoor needs. The leather sheath works fine, I opted for a Proedge kydex sheath for additional knife holding capability (takes effort to remove). The handle is hollow with adequate room for small items (matches, maybe a very small compass).

Back