Need help with a knife idea - WIP thread

I’m brand new to knife making and only have one blade under my belt. I’m wanting to make my next knife for my 16 year old son. I’d like this to be an EDC fixed blade. I need some suggestions on what would make a good profile for an edc blade. Also what weight and dimensions would you recommend. I’m planning on forging this knife out of an old plow bearing race made of 52100 steel.

First ask your son what he likes.
I make EDC's app 1/8" thick, 3,5" drop point blade and just under 1" wide.
I make them with an inside front pocket sheath

Here is what I came up with. He likes a drop point style blade. This one is 8.25” over all length. Handle length is 4” and blade length is 4.25”. Let me know what you think and if anything needs to be tweaked.

XaHpoOz.jpg

Round that pointy butt end of the handle, it will irritate a hand.
I think it is large for an edc, but that is different to everybody

I thought it was a little large myself. But my older son has one that size and they both like it. I agree on the handle and will round it off. Thanks for the feedback.

In addition to rounding the handle, you could optionally extend the ricasso a little and add a sharpening choil.

School me on the thoughts of having a choil. None of my knives have them. I’m not against putting one on there, I just don’t know anything about them.

I made this little hunter for my son a couple years ago.
You can see the little round choil that helps with sharpening.
KVI2aNB.jpg

Would he actually carry that every day? I'd go more for 3'' narrower blade and 3.5'' handle. Straighter handle. I'd add a decent pommel. Once you add a sheath that knife currently looks big for EDC. Depends on use, I guess, but for me EDC is packaging, wood, rope and cord, and some food prep. Don't need a big blade for that.

Gotcha, HSC. You think the blade just needs a shallower profile overall, or just more upsweep to the point?
I like this style myself, I have a shop knife that I made which I use throughout the day most every day and the blade style works well for me.

Also fits in your hand well in multiple positions.
one thing I learned from Tim Wright who learned it from Kuzan Oda is, hold the knife upside down in your hand to test for comfort.

p5VMJ5V.jpg

Gotcha, HSC. You think the blade just needs a shallower profile overall, or just more upsweep to the point?
narrower blade, shorter in length, about 3.5"
look at Murray Carter neck knives, his blade styles have the maximum amount of belly I think is useful

Last edited:
Take a look at this rendition. It’s 7” oal, 3 1/2” blade, 7/8” wide blade. Way less belly. To me, it’s less interesting to look at, but may be more functional in an edc role. Does my original design have any value as a hunting knife?

AU7Edfx.jpg

I’d raise the drop at the heel of the handle quite a bit, your making a hunter/skinner not a chopper.

Take a look at this rendition. It’s 7” oal, 3 1/2” blade, 7/8” wide blade. Way less belly. To me, it’s less interesting to look at, but may be more functional in an edc role. Does my original design have any value as a hunting knife?

AU7Edfx.jpg

To me that looks more practical. Less like something that I'd use to chop mint.

These are all just opinions. The great thing about making your own is you can do whatever you want and see how you like it.
REK (has a subforum here) is selling these like hotcakes. They are a bit different from a traditional profile and perhaps more like your original drawing.
PfWRsgb.jpg

Back