1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with info

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by WI Lance, May 11, 2018.

1. WI Lance

WI Lance

May 11, 2018
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Trying to find info on this axe. Tried the usual Google and can't find any info on this company. Was looking for a year range it was operating and any info that would go with this auction find. Got this and a B.D. Hathaway for $50.

2. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Google d Simmons and you get a lot about cohoes.

Square_peg and Miller '72 like this.
  3. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    The directory of American axe makers in the book American Axes (by Kauffman) on page 118 lists 1880 for Cohoes Axe Mfg Co, which presumably is when the company was formed. The following notice from the publication "Hardware" dated October 25, 1897 says that plant had burned, with a loss of $7500 and no insurance. Maybe 1897 is when they stopped production under that name???

[​IMG]

junkenstien, 300Six and Square_peg like this.
  4. WI Lance

WI Lance

May 11, 2018
    Thanks guys. Everything I found was that there were a few different brands out of Cohoes. Some separate brands but also name changes, like when Simmons died. Just could find no info in Cohoes Axe Manufacturing Co.

5. WI Lance

WI Lance

May 11, 2018
    Also looks like I found the first book on axes I'll be adding to the library. American Axes is $21 on Amazon.

Square_peg likes this.