Need help with Vic cleaning.

Hi, I just found a victorinox that I have been looking for. When I found it it was really dirty with stuff caked all up inside it. Ive cleaned it up as best as I can. But, I still need to get inside it to clean everything out. How do you take it apart? Im sorry I dont know the model or anything, it does have a magnifying glass if that helps, nail down which model it is. Thanks.

Tiewas said:
Hi, I just found a victorinox that I have been looking for. When I found it it was really dirty with stuff caked all up inside it. Ive cleaned it up as best as I can. But, I still need to get inside it to clean everything out. How do you take it apart Im sorry I dont know the model or anything, it does have a magnifying glass if that helps, nail down which model it is. Thanks.

You should not have to take it apart. At most you can only take the scales off. Usually put it in a bowl of the hottest water you can get, add dishwashing detergent, let soak for at least 20 min. then take a toothbrush and clean it thorougly. Light lube on the joints and you should be in business.

When I rediscovered and restored my old 1975 vintage knife, I found that flat wooden toothpicks can reach those places that a toothbrush can't. Just go carefully. Beyond that, what felinevet said is the way to go.

Hmm, I did let it soak for a while in hot water, and then used a tooth brush and lubed it up allready but it is still really stiff and hard to open. I dont know if thats the way its supposed to be or not, since i cant remember how stiff it was when i got it. Oh well I suppose I will try some other stuff. Thanks for the responses.

Tiewas said:
Hmm, I did let it soak for a while in hot water, and then used a tooth brush and lubed it up allready but it is still really stiff and hard to open. I dont know if thats the way its supposed to be or not, since i cant remember how stiff it was when i got it. Oh well I suppose I will try some other stuff. Thanks for the responses.

In these situations, WD40 has worked for me. Spray it on liberally, work the blade and implements for a while and see if things improve.

I've cleaned non-SAK pocket knives using an ultrasonic cleaner. The vibrating solution of water and soap shakes the dirt loose. Haven't had to clean an SAK yet.

Pipe cleaners are also useful for cleaning the nooks and crannies in SAKs, including the slots in the scales for the twezers, toothpicks, etc.

- Tim

As tcolling mentioned, pipe cleaners work great, especially the ones with the stiff bristles along with the cotton bristles. Any decent tobacco shop should carry them.

I also use 5W-30 to loosen things up when regular 3-in-1 oil can't cut it.

I recently threw all mine in the dishwasher, which Victorinox says is ok, and it got most of the crap out. Also it seems to completely dry 'em.

If a knife is dropped on its end, damage to the aluminum liners can prevent easy blade operation. I have had to file the damaged liner to regain the SNAP opening and closing.

Back