need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grinding help,i am near to finishing this knive..the bottom side of the tang,when grinding againts the platen, i come out with marks like you used a file on it,is it the platen? or is my platen nor round enough on the side,,,stumped,, royboy

Roy,

Are you grinding inline or perpendicular to your belt? I personally recommend inline, but use what works best for you if you have tried both. The platen is a hard and unforgiving backing. To minimize your problems, use a good belt with a good splice. You don't want something causing a big 'thump' every time it comes around. Also, how are you holding your blade against the platen? Do you use a magnet, a push stick, etc.? I prefer the magnet. You may be putting the tang against the belt at an angle that causes the problem (i.e., catching the bottom of the tang first). It takes some practice to get it right, and I have found that using my new disc does a good cleanup job on tangs.

Brett

Roy,

I usually "train" on grinding by using a piece of wooden yardstick the same outline as my blade. It only takes a few minutes more but you get a better feel for the placement of the blade on the platen.--Dan

Roy. By the sounds of it you are having trouble getting the inside radious smooth. I always rough it out on the belt grinder and finish it with a foredom flex shaft w/sanding drums. Die grinders will work also and maybe less money but the foredom is very nice for this.

sorry i explained my problem wrong..every thing was assembed,,grinding wirh knive laying flat onhandle on work table,,trying tosmooth out the underside of tang,and enden up with lots of little marks that look like file marks...think it is my platen??? thanks for reply. royboy

yea bruce,that what i am talkin about,little jitter marks,the rest looks good,thanks for info,,i do have a dremal,would that work.. royboy

Dremels are underpowered for the bigger sanding drums but should work. Tell Momma you need a foredom for Christmas.

my foredom flex shaft is a million and i tool i do lots of little things i have figured out that are real blade savers. hers a tip on the sanding bands. go to sears dept, store and get the 3/4 or 1 inch x 4" long tubes for the occalating sanders. the grit bonding is much stronger than the precut ones. take a copeing or other thin saw and cut off a over lenth piece. this cuts down on the o @#$%^ when you run the sanding band off the edge. also works great on handle and finger groove scuplting

roy, take the palten off of you grinder and go to th 4"x36" with about a 220 grit and press evenly, letting it run one way and spin it around and press evenly again. i have trued up the palten on the coote grinder like this a couple of times. i also use hermes grafite cloth. on both the coote and the hardcore. hope this helps

Back