Need Info on a Schrade knife...Help Please

I have a like new Scrade 153UH Golden spike that I was given as a gift in either 94' or 95' and it was bought new so I am assuming it would be either a 94' or 95' model. That being the case can any of you tell me what kind of steel they used when making this knife? There is nothing stamped on it saying what it is made out of. It does say Super Sharp or something like that on the blade. I love the way this knife feels in my hand and I am thinking about using it in the field gutting hogs and what not. Any help would be appreciated.

Codger_64

Show or read me the tangstamp. If it is SCHRADE+, most likely it is 400 series stainless. The Golden Spike has been a popular knife since it was introduced in 1974. A few were made in carbon steel, but the majority were stainless. The 153UH is one of the very few Uncle Henry fixed blades that continued from introduction through Schrade's closing in 2004, so it is also likely the most common. Enduring designs like that say a lot about usability and popularity from one generation to the next.

Codger

Here is how the tang stamp reads-
SCHRADE
U.S.A. 153UH

Bellow that on the little finger guard brass piece it says Uncle henry in signature style cursive writing. That is all that is on the knife.

Codger_64

Then it is likely Carbon steel. Test it by sticking it in a lemon for a bit. It it darkens, it is carbon. Schrade made some (mid-late eighties is a guess) in carbon steel. They are not as common as the stainless ones. Either will make an excellent user. And as to the purchase date? It could have well sat on the shelf for a few years first.
Codger

I'll do the test and report back. Is the carbon steel less desirable? Thank you for your help!

Codger_64

Well, it is just a matter of personal preference really. The carbon is more rare in this particular pattern, so maybe more desirable to a collector. I personally prefer carbon in a user. I like the way it sharpens, performs, and looks as it develops a patina (character). Some prefer stainless because it is less prone to stain or rust.

Codger